FGCU volleyball players to participate in USA Volleyball open tryout

Beginning on Friday, Feb. 19, FGCU volleyball players Leigh Pudwill and Amanda Carroll will join 231 other volleyball players from 88 different colleges at the USA Women’s National Team Open Tryouts in Colorado Springs, Colorado.
The open tryouts will be held at the US Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs where United States Women’s National Team head coach Karch Kiraly and his staff will evaluate the players. The tryout will be comprised of four sessions with three waves per session from Feb. 19-21.
Every session of the tryout will be streamed live on TeamUSA.org starting with Friday’s session here.
Named Atlantic Sun’s Freshman of the Year after a stand out first season at FGCU, Carroll finished the season with 415 kills and 26 service aces, landing her the second highest kills in the A-Sun. The 5-foot-10-inch outside hitter earned 14 double-doubles last season, also landing her a spot on the conference’s All-Freshman Team and a Second Team honoree.
Pudwill, a Northern Iowa transfer, finished her first season with FGCU with the team’s third-highest total kills with 243 and second on the team with eight solo blocks. In the Eagles’ final game this season against conference champion Lipscomb in the conference semifinal game, Pudwill earned a program record of 27 kills.
The National Team’s final roster will be announced sometime in March. At that time, members may begin training with the team following the conclusion of their scholastic or club season.