Police Beat (2/22/2016 – 2/27/2016)

02/22/2016, 10:55 p.m.

A UPD officer smelled a strong odor of marijuana while walking up to the lobby of Palmetto Hall. The odor came from a vehicle parked nearby the entrance. The officer searched the car and found that the driver and three passengers had a glass bowl, a grinder, a half full bottle of Bacardi Limon and a liter of rum. The officer tested the items and both had traces of marijuana. The alcohol was discarded on scene and after all of the individuals admitted they were drinking and smoking, the case was referred to the Office of the Dean of Students.

02/24/2016, 12:59 p.m.

A UPD officer spotted several suspicious individuals on the basketball courts near Alico Arena. The officer conducted a light survey and proceeded to investigate. Both male individuals said they were members of the men’s basketball team and they were practicing. The officer reported they were friendly and said they were just working on their game.

02/24/2016, 3:34 a.m.

Two UPD officers saw two individuals outside of Eagle Hall and approached them after noticing one of the subjects had an open container of beer. The officers then started talking to the other subject that didn’t have the container, and asked what was in his pockets. The second subject got very defensive and as one of the officers started to pat him down for weapons, the subject shoved the officer away and started to run around Osprey Hall. The officers quickly caught him 30 seconds after he fled the scene, placed him under arrest and took him handcuffed to Lee County Jail. The first subject was cooperative and emptied the beer can. The officers then canvassed the area for the contraband that the second subject got rid of but didn’t find it.

02/24/2016, 2:19 p.m.

UPD accidentally sent a rave alert.

02/25/2016, 2:17 p.m.

Parking Services called UPD at 2:17 p.m. to boot a large white pick-up in Parking Lot 2. At 3:30 p.m., UPD removed the boot the vehicle after the driver paid the fines.

02/26/2016, 2:26 p.m.

A complainant called UPD to report a two-foot rattlesnake crossing over the road by Recreation Field 1. UPD was unable to locate the animal.

02/26/2016, 4:52 p.m.

A mother came into UPD to request a welfare check on her son who lives in North Lake Village. UPD checked the student’s dorm and called his phone at 5 p.m. but the attempts were unsuccessful. UPD reopened the case on Feb. 27 to follow up with the subject in his dorm. The officer then found the subject’s mother and aunt inside the room, since the subject’s roommate had let them in. The officer called the subject, who said that he didn’t appreciate his mom and aunt being there unannounced. The officer then asked the family members to leave.

2/27/2016, 2:17 a.m.

A complainant in North Lake Village called UPD to report a male physically assaulting a female near Building J. When officers arrived on the scene, the female said the two had just returned from a bar, and that while the male had begun yelling at her, there was no physical assault. Police escorted the male and female back to their respective rooms, and an officer was stationed near the female’s building to make sure the two stayed separated for the night. The male was warned not to contact the female or any of her friends for the rest of the day, and agreed.

2/27/2016, 4:26 p.m.

A UPD officer responded to a fire alarm on the first floor of Whitaker Hall. There was no smoke or fire, but the officer discovered a broken pipe at the second floor water fountain. The water leaking from the pipe leaked into the wall and soaked the first floor alarm panel, causing the alarm to go off. The incident was turned over to the Physical Plant.

2/27/2016, 10:01 p.m.

An officer observed two male subjects on the first floor of the South Village Garage with a cigarette that smelled like marijuana. The subjects destroyed the cigarette before it could be tested, but then admitted it was marijuana. Both subjects are not students, and were escorted off of the campus and instructed not to come back, except for educational purposes.

2/27/2016, 11 p.m.

A complainant called to report two students throwing glass bottles near Building G. She did not have her glasses on, so could not give a description of the subjects. UPD canvassed the area but did not find the subjects.