Time heals all wounds, but is a week long enough to get over the results of the Florida Primary?

Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump were the big winners last week during the March 15 primaries, with Trump taking Illinois, North Carolina, Florida and Missouri only to fall to opponent Gov. John Kasich in his home state of Ohio. Clinton dominated in the democratic ticket, beating opponent Sen. Bernie Sanders in all five states.
Being a Florida native and a first-time voter, I was ecstatic to make my voice heard in this election; I drove from FGCU to my hometown in Broward County and back in one day just to cast my vote.
Florida is a swing state, but due to the large population of older citizens, it’s mostly Republican. When I was notified of the results while sitting in the Eagle News newsroom, I was shocked. Florida Sen. Marco Rubio couldn’t handle the heat and had to step out of the kitchen, dropping out of the race after receiving only 27 percent of votes in his home state. That in itself is a reflection of Florida residents and their negative regard for Rubio.
While I wasn’t surprised that Rubio wasn’t in favor, I am appalled that a majority of voters who chose not to select Rubio decided on Trump. His campaign is a whirlwind of controversy, causing many to believe that it’s all just been a cruel joke, but who’s laughing now? The business tycoon received more than one million votes at a whopping 45 percent in Florida. Almost half of the state voted for a man who not only did not condemn KKK Grand Wizard David Duke for asking fellow white supremacists to vote for him, but also stated live on Fox News that the families of Muslims must be “taken out.”
Whether you are liberal or conservative, that should scare you. A man that radical simply cannot be sworn into the White House.
Even though Florida is considered a swing state, these results indicate that not only are the majority of voters right-winged, but they are also stating that they want a racist bigot in the White House. Sure, I love sunshine and a good beach day as much as the next Floridian, but these results make my plans of moving to New York City even more concrete.