Men’s soccer assistant leaves for Toronto FC, joins former FGCU assistant

FGCU men’s soccer assistant coach Phil Boerger will be leave the Eagles to join another former FGCU assistant coach with Major League Soccer club Toronto FC.
Boerger, who joined the coaching staff in April of last year, accepted a position as a goalkeeper coach with Toronto FC’s USL PRO reserves team, Toronto FC II, and its academy team.
Boerger comes as the second FGCU coach to be hired by Toranto FC. When Boerger was hired in 2015, he replaced Alec Dufty, who resigned earlier this spring to become the Goalkeeping Director for the Toronto FC Academy and assistant coach for Toronto FC II.
Prior to his time with FGCU, Boerger served as an assistant coach at Georgia Southern as well as an assistant at the University of Jamestown (N.D.) and Syracuse University. Boerger played at the University of Evansville from 2008 to 2010 and spent his senior year with the Syracuse Orange in 2011.
Dufty attended the University of Evansville from 2005-2008.
Both Boerger and Dufty coached former FGCU goalkeeper Nathan Ingham, who became the program’s all-time leading goals-against average leader, playing nearly 6,000 minutes in his career and a 0.98 GAA
In January, Ingham signed to play professionally with National American Soccer League club FC Edmond to become the third pro from the 2015 class, joining FC Dallas Homegrown Player Aaron Guillen and Columbus Crew and Guatemala National Team player Rodrigo Saravia.
During Boerger’s year with FGCU, the Eagles went 7-4-3, holding teams like No. 3 Georgetown and earning wins against scoreless and facing New York FC in an exhibition game in January. FGCU earned the co-regular season champ title with Atlantic Sun Conference instate foe, North Florida.
Boerger is the second coach from the soccer program to leave this year, joining FGCU women’s soccer assistant Ben Boehner who left for an assistant coaching position with the Syracuse women’s soccer team.