Police beat: crossing turtles, sick people and a $600 cell phone bill

Reserved parking issue
An FGCU employee called UPD at 5:02 p.m. March 20 and said that his and all of his staff’s reserved parking spots in Parking Lot 5 were occupied. He requested that an officer ticket the drivers.

Stolen iPad
A complainant called UPD at 1:37 p.m. March 21 to report the theft of his iPad and $25 in quarters. He said he left his bedroom in Palmetto Hall in South Village unlocked when he left for spring break, and when he came back, he didn’t find his possessions.

Injured arm
A male who works for Browning Nursery and Landscaping lacerated his left arm at 8:39 a.m. March 22 on Parking Auxiliary Lot 8. UPD contacted EHS, and the patient was transported to Gulf Coast Hospital.

Crossing turtle
A complainant called UPD at 1:36 p.m. March 22 to report a large snapping turtle that was trying to cross FGCU North Boulevard. The passerby was concerned the animal would get hit by a car and asked for an officer to escort the animal to its destination.

Car boot fail
Parking Services called UPD at 3:02 p.m. March 22 and requested an officer to boot a Grey Honda on the third floor of Parking Garage 3. Then, Parking Services called back at 3:09 p.m. and canceled the request because the car had left.

Car boot removal
Parking Services called UPD at 3:13 p.m. March 22 and requested an officer to boot a silver Saturn parked in visitor parking vehicle. Parking Services then called back at 12:27 p.m. and requested UPD to remove the boot since the driver had paid the parking citations.

Sick male
Lee Control called UPD at 9:37 p.m. March 22 to say that an 18-year-old male had fainted at the basketball courts outside Alico Arena. EMS went to the scene, but the victim was conscious and breathing. The victim refused transportation.

Sick female
Lee Control called UPD at 9:55 p.m. March 22 to say that an 18-year-old female had breathing difficulties in Biscayne Hall at South Village. EMS transported the victim to Gulf Coast Hospital.

Spotted raccoon
A complainant called UPD and said there was a raccoon in the dumpsters in front of Falcon Building at North Lake Village. The complainant said that this had happened the past week and UPD had removed the animal from the same location. However, UPD sent another officer to the location. The officer didn’t find any animal.

Raccoon escort 
A UPD officer spotted a raccoon in the stairwell of Garage 1 at 9:26 a.m. March 24. The officer then escorted the animal to the bottom floor of the garage.

Library seizure
UPD was contacted at 11:59 p.m. March 24 because a student was having a seizure on the second floor of the library. EMS was contacted, but the patient refused transport.

$600 cell phone bill
A complainant called UPD at 1:02 p.m. March 24 to request help with a large cell phone bill. The complainant said she had a boyfriend two years ago who had put down his cellphone under her name because he had bad credit. Sprint had contacted her and said since she knowingly put the phone under her name, she was responsible for the $600 bill. A UPD officer advised the complainant that her issue was a civil matter and she should call Sprint instead.

Breathing trouble at pool
A male individual was pulled from the pool at the Aquatics Center at 12:58 p.m. March 25 after having trouble breathing. EHS transported the patient to the NCH Healthcare System.

Noise complaint 
A complainant called UPD and said the campus preacher was using a bullhorn on the library lawn. UPD contacted Campus Reservations, and then, Campus Reservations asked the preacher to stop using the bullhorn. The preacher complied.