Police Beat: stolen surfboard, welfare check, and theft in the laundry room

Stolen surfboard

A complainant came into UPD and stated that his surfboard was stolen out of his jeep in Garage B in South Village at 6:34 p.m. Monday, April 4. A UPD officer was then advised that this was a prank and that both subjects are friends with the victim and were hiding his surfboard.

Harassment in North Lake

A complainant called UPD asking for an officer to make a harassment report on her ex-boyfriend who resides four hours away at 7:23 p.m. Wednesday, April 6. An officer met with the complainant at 10:19 p.m., and she stated that her ex was harassing her through social media and via text messages and phone calls, threatening to come onto campus and retrieve his things. She stated that she doesn’t have anything of his at her dorm in North Lake and that she doesn’t wish to have further contact with him. She stated her ex owns several firearms and keeps a handgun in his car. A report will be completed along with a prosecution declaration and a written statement regarding the harassment.

Sick person

Lee Control called UPD advising them that a male of approximately 20 years old was lying on the ground unconscious on the fourth floor of Garage B in South Village at 3:37 a.m. Friday, April 8. When UPD couldn’t locate the individual, dispatch then called Lee Control to verify the location of the subject and a representative from Lee County advised UPD that he did not make any calls to UPD. Officers then checked Garages 2, 1, 4 and 3, and nothing was found. An officer made rounds at South Village, checking the garage again and the parking lots, and no one was found.

Welfare check

A resident of Marlin Hall in West Lake had not been heard from for several days when an officer attempted to call him at 5:04 p.m. Friday, April 8. The call then went straight to voicemail. A housing official was enroute to the subject’s dorm at 5:06 p.m. At 5:11 p.m., it was revealed that the subject was in Lee County Jail.

Laundry room theft

A victim called UPD stating that she had left clothes in the laundry room of Eagle Hall at 8:08 p.m.  Saturday, April 9, and when she went back to pick her clothing up, it was gone. The victim then requested an officer to make a report. After UPD retrieved the property from the suspect’s room to the victim’s dorm, she stated that she did not want to press charges. After UPD reviewed footage of a male suspect taking the victim’s property, the victim declared that she wants to prosecute the suspect since the total value of her property is approximately $300.

National Suicide Hotline called

The National Suicide Hotline called UPD at 5:38 p.m. Sunday, April 10 stating that it was on the line with an FGCU student who was standing on top of a parking garage threatening to jump. At 5:44 p.m., a UPD officer located the subject on top of Garage 4. UPD then Baker Acted the subject, handed her a Counseling and Psychological Services brochure and began to drive the subject to SalusCare, a medical center focused on patients with mental health or substance abuse issues in Southwest Florida.