Eagles Care Book Fair teaches preschoolers of Gladiolus Learning Center that reading can be fun

EN Photo / Allie Taylor

FGCU’s library lawn was filled with the sounds of Disney’s “Frozen” soundtrack and laughing preschoolers during the inaugural Eagles Care Book Fair.

Forty children from Gladiolus Learning Center took part in games like sack races and ring toss, had their faces painted and participated in dance parties on the library lawn from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. April 22.
FGCU Student Government and the Office of Service Learning teamed up to create an event that was fun, educational and rewarding for all those involved.
“We wanted to do an event that would be fun and engaging, however still provide that link to education,” said Emma Green, the service ambassador for education and literacy. “We threw around the idea of a book drive to get started and didn’t want to just stop there. Although donating books is great, we wanted to be able to give back to both the local community as well as to our FGCU students.”
Michelle Smykowski, another service ambassador, thought one of the highlights of the day was surprising the children with a visit from SG president Thieldens Elneus, who read “Green Eggs and Ham” by Dr. Seuss.
“The president of FGCU Student Government was able to join us and read the children a book,” Smykowski said. “Before the event was over, every child was given a book that was donated to take back to school with them.”