Haan and Cabrera receive postseason accolades

After another strong season both in and out of the pool, the FGCU swimming and diving team continued to rack up postseason honors, as Elise Haan was named the CCSA Women’s Swimmer of the Year and Lani Cabrera earned the Women’s Co-Scholar-Athlete of the Year recognition.
Haan turned out to be one of the most successful freshmen in season history. She was not only crowned CCSA Champion in three individual and four relay events but also was named CCSA Swimmer of the Week four different times, Co-Most Outstanding Female Swimmer of the CCSA Championship and Co-Most Outstanding Female Freshman Performer.
The star freshman finished first at the conference championships in the 200 free (1:46.20), 100 back (52.08) and 200 back (1:54.76) while also contributing to relay wins in the 200 medley (1:37.66), 400 medley (3:33.92), 400 free (3:18.49) and 800 free (7:13.83). Throughout the season, Haan won a total of 17 individual events, including a perfect 9-0 mark in the 100 back entering the NCAA Championships.
Cabrera excelled both in the pool and the classroom and finished her career at FGCU as conference champion in one individual and one relay event. Cabrera also became FGCU’s first Scholar-Athlete of the Year as she shares the inaugural award with Georgia Southern’s Christina Moran.
Cabrera defended her title in both the 500 free (4:47.53) and 800 free relay (7:13.83) at the CCSA Championships while also finishing runner-up in the 1650 free (16:43.03). She set the FGCU record in all three distance relay events, with respective times of 4:47.43, 9:59.27 and 16:35.50, and also contributed to the top mark in the 800 free relay. The senior totaled eight individual wins throughout the season.
A four-time CCSA All-Academic Team selection, Cabrera graduated with a 3.66 GPA as a communication major with a concentration in public relations. She was a four-time member of the dean’s list for having a GPA of 3.5 or higher and was also named to the president’s list with a 4.0 GPA during the fall of 2012. Additionally, Cabrera was a Student-Athlete Academic Honors Luncheon Recipient each of the last three years.
This summer, Cabrera will compete in the Mayaguez International Open, Bahamas National Championships and Caribbean Islands Championships during June and July while Haan will prepare for the USA Olympic Trials held in Omaha, Nebraska from June 26 through July 3.