FGCU volleyball’s win steak comes to an end after 3-1 defeat to Kennesaw State

EN Photo / Brad Young

On Friday night, the longest active win streak in the nation, held by FGCU, came to an end when The Eagles lost against Kennesaw State in four sets [25-22, 20-25, 15-25 and 20-25].
KSU and FGCU battled for the match win and FGCU took the first set, but KSU found the momentum and took the next three sets to win the match. FGCU had 46 kills and 31 attack errors compared to KSU’s 49 kills and 19 attack errors.
FGCU came out on top for the first set, with the momentum to keeping the nation’s longest win streak going. The Eagles and KSU went point for point with FGCU only holding a one-to-two-point lead consistently. A kill by Giovanna Bogiotti left FGCU one shy of the set win, and an error from KSU sealed the first game in favor of FGCU, 25-22.
The second set started off with errors from FGCU’s offense, and both teams went point for point again. A kill from Bogiotti tied the set at 16-16 and following that, KSU took the lead and kept it until the end. A block from KSU’s Rachel Taylor and Anaiah Boyer closed the set out with a set win for KSU, 25-20.
Tied 1-1, the third set started with a hitting error and a service error by FGCU. Five consecutive kills from KSU allowed them to take the lead and create a score gap. A kill from Maggie Rick then Amanda Carroll was FGCU’s effort for a comeback, but KSU took the third set with a kill from Sydni Shelton, 25-15.
KSU had the advantage now, but FGCU came out with some energy to try to take the fourth set to a fifth. Like the first two sets, FGCU and KSU continued to exchange point for point. KSU began to inch away and capitalized on errors. Another kill from Carroll put FGCU at 20-24, but another kill for KSU ended the match in four sets for KSU, 25-20.
After suffering their first loss since Aug. 27, the Eagles take their 16-3 record to Nashville, Tennessee as they face Lipscomb in their second consecutive Atlantic Sun Conference matchup Saturday Oct. 8.