FGCU swimming and diving defeats four of five opponents at UCLA meet

EN Photo / Brad Young

The FGCU women’s swimming and diving team defeated four of their five opponents in the UCLA Meet at UCLA’s Spieker Aquatics Center on Oct. 22.
The Eagles defeated UC Davis, San Diego, UC Santa Barbra, and Oregon State, losing to No.19 UCLA 133-104.
“It’s great to come away from the weekend with four wins,” said FGCU head coach Dave Rollins in an FGCU Athletics press release. “Today’s racing presented a new set of challenges as the unique format meant you were not just racing the people in your heat, but our girls did great to overcome the challenges. It’s great to get four wins against a top-20 program like UCLA. We still have some details we need to clean up and some tweaking to do with our race strategies, which we will continue to work on the next couple of weeks.”
In the first event of the meet, the Eagles won the 400 medley relay with a season-best time of 3:44.86.
Katie Latham and Christina Kaas Elmgreen both won individual events at UCLA. Latham won the 50 free with a time of 23.21, while Kaas Elmgreen won the 200 fly with a time of 2:00.45.
Later in the meet, Hannah Burdge and Barbara Caraballo secured two top-three finishes     for the Eagles. Burdge finished second in the 100 freestyle with a time of 51.48 and Caraballo received third in the 200 yard backstroke with a time of 2:02.63.
In diving, Ashley Wright finished runner up on the three-meter board and third in the one-meter event.
Sitting at 5-2 on the season, the Eagles will host the FGCU Quad-Meet as they welcome Florida Southern, West Florida and FSU to the FGCU Aquatic center on Nov. 5 and 6.