The Student News Site of Florida Gulf Coast University

Eagle Media

Eagle Media

Eagle Media

SoVi residents evacuated at 3 a.m.

Approximately 3 a.m. on Monday morning, students living in South Village’s Everglades Hall were required to evacuate as the San Carlos Fire Department entered their building. According to University police reports, smoke alarms on the second floor alerted residents of an electrical problem that was later identified by the Director of Housing Brian Fisher as an air conditioner motor failure.
“The equipment that failed was seven years old,” Fisher said. “It was routed to the main breaker, which tripped, causing all of the power to fail.”
While students waited outside their building in the dark, the police report confirms that the on-call maintenance worker arrived approximately 45 minutes after the fire department arrived. Power was restored, and students were allowed back into their rooms approximately 40 minutes later at 5:10 a.m. The fire department turned control over to the housing department and left the scene. No damage was reported to any of the student bedrooms, and no injuries occurred.
“I am pleased with the way we handled things,” Fisher said. “I apologize for the inconvenience, but sometimes these things do happen.”

Story continues below advertisement
Leave a Comment
More to Discover

Comments (0)

All Eagle Media Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *