Senior Greek student wins man of the year

Sigma Chi senior Jake Bornstein was awarded the Gregory R. Singleton Southeastern United States Fraternity Man of the Year Award on Saturday, Feb. 22. The criminal justice and political science major was one of 300 fraternity brothers nominated in the Southeast region. Although he does not know who nominated him for the award, he said he is touched by their action.
“It is such an amazing honor to be recognized as Man of the Year,” Bornstein said. “I am so humbled by the support I received from the six fraternities here on campus as well as University administration. It’s also so cool to see our school get recognized on (the same) scale as bigger universities such as UF and North Carolina.”
The award recognizes an undergraduate fraternity man who is seen as a role model to his peers. The student must consistently illustrate the meaning of living with integrity by the values of his fraternity. Bornstein’s award was presented to his fraternity at the 2014 Southeastern Interfraternity Conference (SEIFC) in Atlanta. Bornstein also served as Florida Gulf Coast University’s Interfraternity Council President this past year.
“It just goes to show you that hard work pays off and here at FGCU we have a committed group of men who work together to better the IFC community each day, and for that I am very thankful,” he said.