FGCU softball picks up conference play with series sweep

After dropping a three-game series last weekend to Atlantic Sun foe Lipscomb, the Eagles claimed their first conference series sweep against ETSU this weekend.
Through the weekend, the Eagles’ defense only allowed three runs and just seven hits while tallying a total of 11 runs, including three homeruns, against their conference foe. On Sunday, Jackie Owen threw a complete-game shutout, allowing only one hit and striking out five to improve her record to 4-1 on the season.
“Jackie was absolutely outstanding today,” said FGCU head coach David Deiros of Jackie Owen after Sunday’s game. “She had complete command of what she was trying to do and kept hitters off balance. Congratulations to her and to the team for getting the sweep and getting us back into the top third of the conference.”
In a break from their conference campaign, the Eagles continued their win streak yesterday with a sweep of UConn in a double header at home, 3-1 in game one and a 7-0 shutout in game two. Allowing only one run all night, pitchers, Taylor Wade, Amanda Josie, and Shelby Morgan allowed a total of 13 hits from the Huskies.
After their weekend series and double header, the Eagles improve to a 18-11-1 overall and 4-2 conference record this season. FGCU picks its conference campaign back up this weekend in South Carolina against USC Upstate. Upstate, who currently sits at an overall 26-4 and 7-2 conference record, is undefeated at home and on a three-game win streak.