Crown Carnival held at FGCU for Breast Cancer Awareness Month

EN+Photo+by+Serena+Tartaglia.+A+poster+made+by+the+ZTA+sorority+for+the+Crown+Carnival.+
EN Photo by Serena Tartaglia. A poster made by the ZTA sorority for the Crown Carnival.

By Serena Tartaglia
Contributing Writer
According to CNN, the world’s oldest color is pink. The library lawn was bathed in the cheerful color on Wednesday, Oct. 2 from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. for the Crown Carnival in honor of Breast Cancer Awareness month. 
Zeta Tau Alpha, a philanthropic sorority, hosted the carnival to raise money and awareness for breast cancer. The carnival was complete with balloon darts, face painting, a donation table, a sack race, corn hole, and a raffle that included FGCU sponsored items.
Participants were also able to buy a pink rubber bracelet for $10 that would guarantee access to Crown Classic, a football game held on Oct. 11 from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. on the FGCU recreation lawn one.
“I have family members that have been affected by breast cancer, and it is important to spread awareness because it is so common. I take pride in participating in a cause that is greater than myself,” said “Think Pink” Chairman and ZTA member Kaylei Kamback.
The NCH Healthcare System also had a booth on the lawn, with a multitude of information about breast cancer, treatment, and prevention. There are 6 outpatient facilities in the Naples area that perform preventative services such as mammograms and MRIs, NCH recommends annual mammograms from age 40 or from age 21 if there is a history of breast cancer in your family.
“Breast cancer awareness is important because the more people that are aware, the more people will donate and help survivors,” said ZTA member Marissa Depalma.