Sharing is caring

Student Jessica Webber talks about her passion in helping those in North Korea who face the struggles of human trafficking. Photo by Kelli Krebs.

What do shaved heads, video games, pillow forts and human rights in Korea have in common? They were all spotlighted at Florida Gulf Coast University’s TEDxFGCU that aired at WGCU’s broadcast building on Thursday, March 27. TED talks are non- profit events that highlight “ideas worth spreading.” The speakers are ordinary people with exceptional stories full of advice and inspiration.
The six speakers who presented at the event last week included students Jessica Webber, Catherine and Claire Gorman and Hunter Osking, alumni Adam James and Maisy Page, and FGCU professors Terry
Danahy and Michael Salmond. The group of presenters underwent an application and audition process before being selected. The event was organized by several FGCU leaders and organizations including the Programming Board, the offices of Service Learning, Undergraduate Studies and Student Government.
The Vice President of Student Affairs, Michael Rollo, attended the event.
“I’m glad we’re doing positive events like this,” Rollo said. “It’s a testament to our commitment to the community. The students, faculty and staff are doing wonderful things and I’m very proud of their endeavors.”
WGCU recently incorporated TED hour into its daily programming at 8 p.m. Thursdays.