Eagles sweep NJIT, cruise to eighth straight win

EN+Photo+by+Julia+Bonavita+%2F%2F+FGCU+pushes+their+winning+streak+to+eight+after+sweeping+NJIT+at+home+on+Saturday+night.+Dana+Axner+continues+her+impressive+season+as+she+is+17+digs+away+from+becoming+the+first+sophomore+in+FGCUs+Division+I+history+to+reach+1%2C000+career+digs.+
EN Photo by Julia Bonavita // FGCU pushes their winning streak to eight after sweeping NJIT at home on Saturday night. Dana Axner continues her impressive season as she is 17 digs away from becoming the first sophomore in FGCU’s Division I history to reach 1,000 career digs.

By Bryce Thompson
Staff Writer
FGCU Volleyball defeated NJIT Saturday night in dominating fashion (25-7, 25-11, 25-15), continuing their hot streak. The Eagles improved their season record to 18-3, as well as remaining unbeaten at home this year.
The Eagles set the tone for the match by taking a 10-2 lead with a perfectly placed ace by Amanda Carroll. The ace by Amanda Carroll was one of the team’s eleven aces on the match.
After a quick 25-7 first set from the Eagles, the momentum carried into the second as the team continued their impressive hitting percentage, jumping out to a 15-7 lead. As a team, FGCU hit .400 on the night, a school record against NJIT.
A 25-11 second set win sent the match into its final set, one that captured the theme of the night, a total team effort. The combination of towering blocks, accurate hits, powerful aces, and game-winning kills lead the team to a 25-15 third set win, completing the sweep.
FGCU tallied 35 kills on the night, with Daniele Serrano and Tori Morris leading the team with seven apiece, while Snowy Burnam and Cortney VanLiew each tacked on five.
FGCU’s Chelsey Lockey once again had another great performance set up the team for success with 28 assists. Even with all the kills and assists, the most impressive performance goes to Dana Axner.
Axner’s 10 digs on the night put her career total to 983 digs, putting her only 17 away from being the seventh player in program history with 1000 digs. She is on pace to become the first sophomore to achieve that milestone in FGCU’s Division I era.
The Eagles look to extend their winning streak to nine games, hosting Bethune-Cookman this Tuesday, Oct. 22.