No. 25 FGCU outlasts Liberty 64-57 in ASUN bout

EN+Photo+by+Julia+Bonavita+
EN Photo by Julia Bonavita

By Harold J. Solomon IV
Sports Editor
Behind the double-double performances of Keri Jewett-Giles and Tytionia Adderly, the No. 25 ranked FGCU women’s basketball team defeated Liberty 64-57 in a tough ASUN matchup in Alico Arena on Monday night.
With the victory, FGCU continues its winning streak of 30 consecutive conference games along while also snapping the six-game win streak of Liberty.
“It was definitely a tough game. Liberty played great, and we were fortunate,” FGCU head coach Karl Smesko said. “There’s a lot we can take from (this game) and learn. Hopefully that’s what we do because this is the strongest the conference has been since I’ve been in it. There’s more good players and more good teams than at any other time. We’re going to have to raise our level.”
Though outmatched by the Flames in height, FGCU was able to maintain the rebounding advantage 40-37 while also matching the team’s season-high for blocks with four.
Liberty would battle back as they outshot the Eagles from long-distance, but FGCU would excel at the foul line (17-18) backed by Jewett-Giles’ perfect 9-9 output.
Jewett-Giles also led the Eagles with 22 points and recorded a career-high in rebounds with 10 while adding six assists, four steals and a block.
Tytionia Adderly produced her second consecutive double-double with 14 points, a game-high 13 rebounds, four steals and two assists despite an injury that forced her to sit out during the final quarter.
The Eagles won despite finishing a season-worst 5-for-33 from three-point range, the team’s lowest total made and percentage of the year.
The FGCU women’s basketball team will now hit the road for a three-game slate, starting with a 1 p.m. matchup on Jan. 11 against Stetson.