No. 22 Eagles win ASUN regular-season title, down KSU 89-64

EN+Photo+by+Julia+Bonavita+%2F%2F+Keri+Jewett-Giles+went+off+for+25+points+in+the+Eagles+89-64+victory+against+KSU.+With+this+victory%2C+the+FGCU+womens+basketball+team+clinched+its+10th+ASUN+regular-season+title.+
EN Photo by Julia Bonavita // Keri Jewett-Giles went off for 25 points in the Eagles 89-64 victory against KSU. With this victory, the FGCU women’s basketball team clinched it’s 10th ASUN regular-season title.

Harold J Solomon IV
Sports Editor
The No. 22 ranked FGCU women’s basketball team clinched their 10th consecutive ASUN regular-season championship as they downed Kennesaw State 89-64 on the road Monday night.
The Eagles’ 15th straight victory was backed by a combined 50 points from seniors Keri Jewett-Giles and Davion Wingate.
“I thought we got off to a great start,” FGCU head coach Karl Smesko said. “We really moved the ball well and shot it exceptionally, which helped us get off to a good lead in the first quarter. Keri was exceptional, and Davion was very explosive offensively. Overall, it was a very good offensive performance.”
On the defensive end, Tytionia Adderly produced eight rebounds and six steals while tieing her career her assists in a game with 10.
“Ty is just a really special player,” Smesko said. “She’s a good ball handler. She’s a good passer, and she’s one of the best rebounders in the country. She’s just having an exceptional season.”
Adderly also became the first player in ASUN history to amount 800 points, 1,000 rebounds, 300 assists and 200 steals in a career, while moving into fourth place in conference history 1,122 career rebounds.
At five games ahead in the standings over the rest of the conference, FGCU is likely to remain the top seed as the ASUN Tournament rapidly approaches.
Before that, the FGCU women’s basketball team will finish their road slate for the season as it travels to Newark, N.J. to take on NJIT this Saturday, Feb. 22.