Semester in review: Dunk City, ethics, gay marriage

As the 2012-13 school year comes to a close, it is reasonable to say that it was FGCU’s most important yet. Why was this semester so special?
Throughout these months, the Socratic Segment has opined on government overreach, nuclear proliferation, marijuana laws and states’ rights. Surveys conducted on campus found that our peers are most worried about our nation’s ethics when it comes to problems facing our future. And just last week I was proud to report the overwhelming majority of students supporting equality when it comes to gay rights.
But it was something much closer to home that made this spring so significant: Our basketball team jammed its way to the Sweet 16 in the NCAA men’s tournament. The lowest-seeded team to reach the top 16, our Eagles made history while transforming this University and community into “Dunk City”.
As we move into the aftermath of this incredible feat, students will graduate and start their careers. But with this newfound fame comes a big responsibility of building upon FGCU’s reputation. Now that our men’s basketball team put our little-known school in the national spotlight, it’s our turn to show this nation what FGCU is truly made of. And with all the attention comes some perks.
“Our degrees are now worth much more than they were a year ago,” said graduate Sam Rockwell. “It is due to the competitive nature of our society. The better you are at sports, the more recognizable you become. We will all have a great ice breaker at our first job interview,” said Rockwell.
It is truly incredible that our culture puts such emphasis on athletics, but we students are certainly not complaining. This event has given our school something to rally and unite around, which is a much-needed aspect to any successful university. And this is just the beginning.
Being the last issue of Eagle News for the year, I’d like to thank all the readers of the Socratic Segment and wish the best to all student, whether graduating or taking summer classes. I am very grateful to be here at FGCU with my fellow Eagles, and may our University have nothing but good things in its future.
Be safe. God bless.
And always remember: Never stop questioning.