Intramural Coordinator pleads for students to stay off the fields in order to maintain them

FGCU Recreation is asking for help from students in maintaining two of its most- used facilities on campus.
Recreation field one in the main campus loop and recreation field two in South Village Housing are both currently closed because of the weather and untimely usage.
Both fields are closed indefinitely to help prevent further permanent damage and ensure safe playing conditions when they re-open.
“We really need students to police other students at the fields to help us in maintaining them,” FGCU Campus Recreation    Assistant    Director    Of Programs Robbie Bell said. “We are hoping that students will hold each other accountable during this time so that all of our students are able to use the fields down the road.”
Recreation field one was closed over the summer as Campus Recreation and the FGCU Physical Plant worked together to maintain it and get it ready for the fall semester. The field re-opened on Thursday, August 15 but conditions severely worsened less than a week later because the field was used before it had the chance to drain.
“Unfortunately, that field just does not drain that well and with all the rain that we have had recently it has not had a chance to adequately drain,” FGCU Sport Clubs Coordinator Julia Stulock said. “Anytime that anyone uses the field when it is wet and soggy, it can be damaged because of the lack of drainage.”
Campus Recreation had recreation field two re-sodded in late July and has closed that facility until the new grass is ready for use. “We have issues when the fields are used both during and after the storms that we’ve had,” Bell said. “Using the fields at that time has led to them being torn up.”
Not having access to these outdoor facilities could eventually negatively affect the sports clubs and intramural sports programs as well as prevent students from being able to access the fields for open recreation use.
“We want students to be able to use the fields, but we can’t allow them to do that when the conditions are wet or unsafe,” Bell said. “We all need to work together right now to make sure that the fields aren’t being used so we can offer our programs and they can be used by students when things improve.”