COVID-19 Grant Available to Students

Waldemar Brandt | Unsplash

Haley Beale, Contributing Writer

The last COVID-19 grant is being offered to FGCU students who are in need of financial assistance.

The U.S. Department of Education is providing supplemental funds to assist students impacted by COVID-19. These funds are received through the American Rescue Plan. The funds are available to help students cover expenses related to food, housing, course materials, health care and more.

In the application, students will write a short paragraph on how COVID-19 affected them financially. These applications are read over and then a decision is made if the student will receive funding.

This will be the last supplemental funding being offered to students. To be eligible, applicants must be enrolled in classes for the term they are applying in. FAFSA is not required, but it will help students get their grants expedited.

“I will be using the funds to help with my rent this semester,” FGCU student Carson Shane said. “My family was heavily impacted due to Covid-19.”

Students can choose to put the funds they receive towards any tuition balance. Students can receive the funds via direct deposit or have a check mailed. These funds do not have to be paid back.

Many students have relied on these grants to help them pay their rent, school and even for health care.

“This money is going to help me pay off medical bills I received during Covid,” FGCU student Billy Sink said.

This being the last grant available, the staff at the Financial Aid Office is trying to spread the word about the funding. They are using an Instagram account encouraging students to reach out to their friends to get more students to apply.

If you would like to know more about the funding, please click the link below.

FGCU Covid Financial Assistance (ARP Act) FAQ