University Announces Campus Safety Measures After Wednesday’s Student Arrest

Riley Hazel, Executive Editor

After Wednesday’s social media threats made by an FGCU student, UPD has announced new campus safety measures. 

Wesley Huffman, an off-campus student, posted to Twitter early Wednesday morning that he wanted to shoot FGCU students and people on campus.

“Look at me I’m going to kill people at FGCU my address is Felda help I’m a danger I’m going to join Al Quieda,” Huffman posted.

FGCU released a message today from UPD Chief of Police Jim Slapp regarding new campus safety measures. 

“The university is also reviewing its response to the incident and how we can improve our actions in the future, just as we would with any emergency,” the email read.

The email stated that students and faculty can expect an increase in campus patrols, license plate recognition of vehicles entering and exiting campus, engagement with local and federal law enforcement agencies, increased visibility at on-campus events and officer awareness. 

Huffman, of Felda, FL, was perceived as a threat to FGCU by UPD. The Lee County Sheriff’s Office and the Hendry County Sheriff’s Office were noticed for assistance, according to the police report.

At 9:42 a.m. on Wednesday, Huffman entered the UPD lobby and stated he wished to complete a police report about people “possibly tapping him,” according to the report. 

During a conversation with a UPD officer, Huffamn, 25, confirmed that the Twitter account associated with the threats was his and that he posted the tweets.

Huffman stated that he woke up feeling agitated and decided to post the threats to get people to listen to him. Huffman did not have access to any guns, according to the report.

Huffman was released from Lee County Jail Thursday on bond. Huffman was charged with intimidation of an electronic mass shooting threat. Huffman was suspended pending additional student conduct.

Slapp’s email stated that social media is continuously monitored by the university, enabling content to be flagged by UPD for further investigation. 

“Safety awareness is our top priority on campus,” the email read. “In an emergency or a dangerous situation, an emergency notification will be sent for the safety of the community, unless such notification will compromise efforts to assist a victim or contain, respond to, or mitigate the emergency. In this incident, a campus notification would have compromised law enforcement efforts to detain the suspect, who was not on campus at the time.”

FGCU will remain committed to all reports of criminal and suspicious activity, according to the email.