Truly Organic Pizza comes to FGCU

Michelle Frackleton, a sophomore majoring in Resort and Hospitality Management, was the first customer to order at the Truly Oganic Pizza’s grand opening.
She ordered the Tree Hugger, which is described on the menu as a “classic pizza loaded with bell pepper, fresh seasonal mushrooms, garlic slices, onion, peas, rosemary potatoes, and bruchetta.”
“It’s basically a vegetable medley,” said Frackleton. “I just had my first bite and it was delicious! I’ve never had peas on my pizza before.”
Students got their first taste of Florida Gulf Coast University’s first on-campus pizza joint on August 15.
Located in the Cohen Center between The Home Zone and Chick-Fil-A, Truly Organic Pizza was first established in Naples in March 2012. It is the first pizzeria to be certified as 100 percent organic through the United States Department of Agriculture.
All of its ingredients are free of synthetic chemicals, pesticides, herbicides, hormones and genetically modified organisms. The mozzarella is made from organic milk, the flour is unbleached, and the cattle and chickens are free roaming and vegetarian fed. These standards are not only upheld in the ingredients, but also the cleaning products used in the kitchens. Because of these features, the restaurant boasts of being truly delicious and undeniably good for the consumer.
Jason Chang, the owner of Truly Organic Pizza, has a connection to FGCU that extends beyond a mutual focus on sustainability. He is also an alumnus, having graduated as an Eagle in 1999. Because of this relationship, Chang expresses much excitement about having his restaurant at his alma mater’s student union.
“College kids hold the future of America,” said Chang. “And I can provide them with good, wholesome, honest food. It doesn’t get any better than that.”
The menu has 12 different types of pizza to choose from, as well as an array of calzones and salads. Entire pizzas are available in 10” and 18” pies, but students may also purchase their meals by the slice at $1.99 apiece.
Miranda Frantzis, a pre-nursing freshman, accompanied Frackleton for dinner.
“I like to stick with the classic cheese,” said Frantzis. “One of the best I’ve ever had.”
Truly Organic Pizza is open Monday- Thursday from 11/10, Fridays from 11/8, and weekends from 12/10. When dining in or carrying out, students may pay for their meal with their Eagle ID card’s Dining Dollars. Truly Organic Pizza also offers free delivery within five miles of the FGCU campus, which includes West Lake Village.