Realistic resolutions: Set yourself up for a year of success

When a new year approaches, a new year’s resolution inevitably follows. It’s a time for us to feel refreshed and resolute.
However, despite our best intentions, our new year promises always seem to fail us, or maybe we fail our new year promises. Time spent on our phones still trumps time spent with family, endless nights of binge watching Netflix hinders that gym membership, and before you know it, you’ve forgotten all about those books you were supposed to read.
So why does a failed resolution always seem to happen so often and so quickly? Should you even bother making a new year’s resolution at all?
My answer is yes.
Resolutions are a great tool used to measure one’s self-improvement. Whether short, medium or long- term, they are goals that immensely enhance and change your life; they are a great way to reflect how far you’ve come and how far you still have to go.
A new year’s resolution is a revision to the start of a new year and a way to rewrite mistakes made in the past. All of us have room for improvement—why not create a tangible way that can help you achieve this – through a resolution?
Resolutions bring many positive aspects, but often fail. This New Year, the only way yours won’t fail depends solely on you. The most successful New Year’s resolution is small and specific. For example, instead of just saying “I will live a healthier lifestyle this year,” change it instead to, “I will drink more water.”
This is both a realistic and productive step in achieving this goal.
My advice is this: Don’t jump to the common new year’s resolution. Make it realistic, positive, and personal. The best way to achieve your resolution is to be mindful of what you logically can and cannot achieve at this point in your life. This means changing one thing at a time, but only to the best of your ability. Also, make sure to plan in advance what it is you hope to accomplish.
If your resolution fails treat it as a small setback. Don’t let yourself get down. That is what a resolution is all about attempting to better yourself one small step at a time. However, don’t forget to reward yourself for when you do succeed.
If you are dedicated and stick to your resolution, it starts to become routine. After a couple of weeks, you can turn these changes into habits and find that the results are immensely worth your while.