2013 Dunk City squad up for ‘best Cinderella of all-time title’

In 2013, “Dunk City” was the talk of the NCAA March Madness Tournament.
No. 15-seeded FGCU shocked the world when the little known school, just two years into its NCAA Division I eligibility, toppled No. 2 Georgetown and No. 7 San Diego State, becoming the first No. 15 to ever reach the Sweet Sixteen.
A few months later, FGCU, the Cinderella of the tournament, added an ESPY for “Best Upset” to its resume for the first round 78-68 win over Georgetown.
Now two years later, with the last remaining players from the Cinderella squad graduated and new players filling their roles, their legend continues to live on. On Thursday morning, Sports Illustrated included the 2013 FGCU men’s basketball squad in its 16-team bracket to determine the best Cinderella team in the history of the NCAA tournament.
The fan-voted competition includes FGCU’s SI-Tournament first round foe: 1999 Gonzaga, the 2013 Wichita tournament semifinalist squad, the 2008 Davidson and the 2011 Butler.
As of 7:00 p.m. Thursday night, FGCU had 989 votes, to Gonzaga’s 340 votes, claiming 74 percent of the total votes. In 2013, FGCU finished with a 26-11 (13-5 A-Sun) record, and entered the tournament as a No. 15 seed in the South Regionals. The Eagles beat No. 2 Georgetown and No. 7 San Diego State, and fell to No. 3 Florida in the Sweet 16. In 1999, Gonzaga finished 28-7 (12-2 West Coast Conference) and entered the tournament as a No. 10 seed in the West Regional. The Bulldogs beat No. 7 Minnesota, No. 2 Stanford and No. 6 Florida and lost to No. 1 Connecticut in the Elite Eight.
Voting continues again on Friday in the Elite Eight and Final Four, with a championship matchup set for Monday. The winner will be announced on Tuesday, August 18.
If FGCU continues onto the Elite Eight round, Dunk City will face either the 2002 Kent State or 2011 VCU.
Fans can vote here by clicking on FGCU’s photo.

Where are FGCU’s votes coming from? Everywhere.

(Source: Sports Illustrated / Pollcaster)