Penagos leads Eagles past NKU, 1-0, in 97-degree heat

The men’s soccer team had a successful weekend by winning two consecutive games.
Florida Gulf Coast University began its conference games by giving us all hope for a great season. The Eagles faced Northern Kentucky University in 97-degree weather on Sunday afternoon and still delivered.
The game started with a nice flow with FGCU dominating. Then in the 13th minute, Junior Henry Penagos scored a penalty kick for the Eagles, for his fourth goal of the year. The first half continued to unfold with good momentum for the Eagles. They played fast and had several shots on goal. By the end of the first half, the Eagles had six shots and two corner kicks. NKU only had one shot and one corner kick.
The second half began with pressure from NKU. Things got heated between some of the players, and two yellow cards were handed out.
“These games at one o’clock in Florida are so hard to play,” head coach Bob Butehorn said. “The heat is unbearable and makes the game almost like running through mud. It’s hard for the guys, it’s hard for the coaches and it’s hard for the referees.”
“So for us to get a result in that type of environment is great. To get two shutouts on the weekend— especially considering two weeks ago we were letting in goals like they were candy — is nice.” Butehorn said. The men’s team fought through the heat and controlled the pace of the game.
Sophomore goalie Danny George was a key to this weekend’s success. He saved every one of the shots and the defense helped him block several shots by NKU.
The Eagles are now 4-5-1 on the season and 2-0-0 in conference play. The Eagles take on East Tennessee State University on Friday in Tennessee and USC Upstate on Sunday in South Carolina.