McTarnaghan Hall was closed from 12:15 p.m. to 1:30 p.m. Monday afternoon due to smoke distribution from burnt cooking material.
“We found it to be some material in the microwave — cooking material,” said Glen Vanbrunt, the division chief for fire training at Lee County Fire Department.
The material in the microwave was not identified and did not catch fire. Smoke from the event, originating in room 211, went through the building’s heating and air conditioning unit, resulting in evacuation.
McTarnaghan Hall has since opened back up to students, faculty and staff.