Lambda Alpha Epsilon hosts 5k run for fallen law enforcement

The FGCU chapter of Lambda Alpha Epsilon will host its 5k on Saturday, Nov. 21, in honor of fallen law officials.
More than 50 percent of proceeds collected will benefit the Officer Down Memorial Page, a nonprofit organization dedicated to honoring America’s fallen law enforcement heroes.
The 5k for the Fallen: Run the Blue Line will begin at the Veterans Pavilion with a ceremony starting at 7 a.m. when the Lee County Sheriff’s Honor Guard will present the names of fallen officers. The LCSO Aviation Division will then perform an honor flight overhead.
The 5k walk/run will begin promptly at 8
a.m. Pre-registration is $20 — $25 the day of the event — and $15 for law enforcement personnel with agency ID. All proceeds will benefit ODMP and the FGCU LAE chapter.
“A lot of negative publicity has been brought upon the law enforcement community within the past few months, and we are hoping to show that we are out there running for the fallen officers,” said Colby Pickering, an LAE member. “They gave their lives for us, and they have our utmost respect. This run is our way of saying thank you for all they do for us every day.”
LAE is an American Criminal Justice Association founded on the principles of improving the justice system, fostering professionalism in
law enforcement and promoting academic and public awareness of criminal-justice issues. The organization has participated in local 5k races previously, and at one of its weekly meetings, the idea of putting on a race for the cause was brought to the table. Members researched a bit more and realized it would be a good way to reach out to the student body and the community.
“We have reached out to various public safety agencies within the area, and they are scheduled to attend as well,” Pickering said.
O r g a n i z a t i o n s attending are Fort Myers Police Department, LCSO and the FGCU University Police.
Those interested can email LAE president Matt Milligan at lae@ fgcu.edu to sign up.