PuppyPalooza brings stress-relief to students

[Best_Wordpress_Gallery id=”18″ gal_title=”Puppy Palooza”]
PuppyPalooza had students lining up on the Cohen Center lawn for their chance to hold and play with the adorable furry friends of Gulf Coast Humane Society. This semi-annual event, hosted by Prevention & Wellness and Campus Recreations, offers students a way to relieve the stress of finals by playing with puppies.
P&W began PuppyPalooza in the spring semester of 2014, giving students a fun outlet to relax and de-stress before the end of the semester. This year, P&W handed out stress relief info and freebies while students waited in line, and the GCHS table had volunteer opportunities and adoption info for those wanting more time with the pups. Campus Rec also offered schedules for its fitness programs and classes.
“The sole purpose of the event is stress relief, though, and during an especially hectic time of the semester, this type of event is done on many college campuses around the country,” said Priya Thomas, the director of P&W.
P&W provides students with health and wellness education resources, including topics such as alcohol, stress, sexual health, nutrition, drugs and more. Through programs, events and creative outreach, such as Cash Cab and Wellness InSTALLments­, students can obtain information on just about any issue from P&W.
P&W and Campus Rec were awarded the “Bright Idea Award of the Year” from Student Affairs this year for PuppyPalooza.
Due to weather conditions, the Dec. 3 session of PuppyPalooza was canceled.
“Due to inclement weather this afternoon, PuppyPalooza has been canceled. We apologize to everyone who did not experience the cuteness,” said Campus Rec in a tweet.