SG’s Kempton keeps job

Student Senate opened Tuesday with a call by Sen. Molly Ferguson for a vote of noconfidence in Pro Tempore Sean Kempton.
Sen. Michael Danis provided the reasons for this vote, stating that Kempton has recently posted public notices incorrectly, has put bills in the wrong places and has previously neglected to reserve a room for a Senator Executive Committee meeting.
“He gets paid to do this job, and he’s not doing it,” Danis said.
Sen. Thomas Edwards stated that “issues we very rarely ran into in the past have become commonplace.”
Kempton spoke up about this vote. “I have always made the best effort to make things run smoothly … I can tell you that I’ve made a couple of mistakes … A lot of times we’re too worried about small details. We put clubs in jeopardy of losing funding for little things, like formatting issues. It’s a shame that I’m standing up here for such a small thing.”
Sen. Andrew Grillo stated that even though Kempton has made small mistakes: “these are mistakes that if they don’t comply with Sunshine Laws, we could lose Senate.”
Several Senators spoke on Kempton’s behalf.
Sen. Dexter Downs said, “Nobody’s perfect … you make mistakes, too. He’s doing a great job.”
Sen. Andrew Johnson suggested that the reasons for Kempton’s proposed impeachment were “vague”.
“Are two mess-ups on November 16th enough for a vote of no-confidence? This is outrageous … he’s helped me for hours with bills. He’s helping the students.”
Sen. Jake Borenstein brought up the late increase in tension during Senate meetings over the last 3-4 months. “We’re here for the students, this has got to stop. This is getting ridiculous. Let’s vote on this and move on.”
University Relations Chair Sarah Flick talked about the effect that incorrect agendas sent out by Kempton have had on the other Senate chairs: “This is not personal at all … when his agendas are sent out wrong, our agendas are sent out wrong.” The vote of no-confidence did not pass.