Fun Under the Sun

Delinah Rosario, Opinions Editor

There are so many fun activities to do under the sun at FGCU. Keep yourself occupied and involved by attending events held by organizations such as Programming Board. While some students are commuting to classes, others are still living on campus this summer. Regardless of what you’re doing, stop by the multitude of events that are being held to bring students together.

“This year we have hosted a movie night, a sustainable event, a painting event, and an ice cream social,” Programming Board President Hallie Davis said. “At every event, we usually have free food and take-away items.”

The community that the school offers students influences a positive campus environment. From painting and food trucks to the TRIO summer block party, students come out for a chance to mix and mingle. Some events, such as the block party, raffle away some amazing prizes that you won’t want to miss if you’re a part of TRIO.

“We are excited to host our first annual block party and see our returning SSS scholars connect with our brand new scholars,” TRIO Stem Program Coordinator Vicky Holmes said. “In addition, they will develop a peer support network with other SSS students and will gain valuable skills to promote overall academic success.”

Taking the time out to support different organizations can also be a great way to relax. It’s a fun and unique way to spend your summer. The university’s events calendar is always filled with various opportunities for everyone. There are many chances to join an activity that will grab your undivided attention. It is important to make the most out of your time in college.

“If anyone is unsure about attending an event, I’d say just give it a try, you never know what fun you’ll have or who you’ll meet,” Davis said. “You will never leave empty-handed with all the giveaways offered!”

Another fun perk to the events held on campus is that they are more often than not always free. You can also learn something new. You can learn about different Greek life, registered student organizations, or classes that might interest you. It’s important to have an open mind because you can see situations from new perspectives and lenses.

“I loved the summer community events we had like the WLV pool party and music festival,” junior Ronique Bobb said. “A lot of clubs, fraternities, and sororities came out to support and it was overall a good experience.”

One of the main advantages of participating in the fun is the ability to meet people who have similar interests. There’s time to talk to the people around you and strike up a conversation. School is primarily to learn, however that’s not all that it entails. Joining in on bounce houses and standing in line for 15 minutes waiting for food from a truck while you talk to your friends is part of the fun.

“Eagle View Orientation held events for incoming students to meet and socialize with their peers,” senior Ashley Paris said. “I love these welcome events as it helps ease the transition from high school life to college life. Definitely, a great way to spend the summer!”