FGCU’s Scuba Club equips divers for underwater fun

Have you ever wondered what it would be like to explore the depths of places such as Key Largo, West Palm Beach or the Inland Springs? Do you wish to swim with sharks or reach out and touch coral reefs?
Well now you can. Simply by joining Florida Gulf Coast University’s Scuba Diving Club, you will have access to opportunities you’ve only dreamed about.
Last fall, Edward Bate decided he wanted to bring a new and thrilling club to FGCU. With the help of Rachel Margalus, the two created the Scuba Diving Club. The club has become a place where experienced divers and curious beginners can meet and enjoy the underwater world.
In just one year on campus, the club has reached 180 members. They are showing no signs of slowing down any time soon. The Scuba Diving Club is always looking to expand.
There are no limitations to one’s  experience. Whether you’re certified to dive or not, you are still able to sign up. One of the club’s main goals is to get new and interested members certified for the lowest possible cost. For just $150, you can become a certified scuba diver and be on your way to exploring all that the ocean has to offer.
The Scuba Diving Club bases all of its events and training sessions in Cape Coral at Cape Coral Scuba Quest dive center. There are no outside costs to join the club, as long as you cover your certification and equipment fees.
Potential members can expect to learn an entirely new culture. You will learn about plants and animals not just through pictures, but by plunging down and checking them out with your own eyes.
The club is looking for new ways to earn service-learning hours. Members currently conduct local cleanups that provide service hours. They’re working with the Captiva-Sanibel Marine Lab to help students who have an interest in diving get hands-on experience to earn hours.
The club believes in bringing divers together and opening them up to new experiences. Through events and excursions, scuba club members get to travel and develop friendships with people who share the same interests as themselves. They take the time to educate new members about scuba diving and will help each member reach their scuba goals.
The club provides students with a safe and friendly environment to learn how to dive and get familiar with the underwater world.
For more information on the club, its members and when and where they will be meeting this semester, go to www.facebook.com/fgcuscubaclub.