Required courses aren’t always beneficial

From a young age, children are told that college is about pursuing your dream,  and the years before you graduate from high school are spent learning the basic educational skills you will utilize in the real world every day.
Once it comes time to actually go to college and choose courses to take, you notice that there are several classes that you are required to take that do not tie back to the career you are pursuing.
Many of the courses available for selection that fulfill our general education requirements are based around topics we have covered in high school and sometimes even before then. Often, students are forced to take these classes because of how quickly other classes reach maximum capacity.
For my freshman year, most of my classes were just slightly harder versions of classes I took in high school, and much of the material covered just felt extremely repetitive. On top of that, I wasn’t even interested in the subject to begin with.
As an English major, I hope to one day pursue a career as a writer of some sort. Naturally, one would assume that I should take classes solely based on the major I choose. On top of the classes I take that actually have to do with my major, I am required to take courses that will in no way benefit my future career.
Passing my math and science courses wasn’t only difficult for me, but it was also wasting time I could have been spending expanding my knowledge on my major. Statistics killed my GPA despite the fact that I received high grades in my major classes. My years spent in high school learning advanced math taught me the most advanced math I’ll ever need to use.
I would guess the more science- and math-minded students feel the same way about  English and writing courses they’re required to take. Just as art or music majors don’t benefit from their required science courses.
Your years in college are meant to be spent discovering your passions and figuring out what your goals are for the rest of your life. Taking courses that don’t benefit your future is just hindering you from gaining more valuable skills that could help you attain your goals.
We all know that college isn’t cheap, and I want the money I spend on it to be put toward something that could strengthen my knowledge about the career I am pursuing.