Kanye West, Tommy Hilfiger, Christian Siriano show at NYFW 2016

With the start of New York Fashion Week (NYFW), Kanye West released the fourth edition of his “Yeezy” collection, called “Yeezy Season 4”. Showcased on Roosevelt Island in New York, the temperature was very high. The show ran nearly two hours late, which affected the models in the show. A large number of models were standing within the catwalk’s confines wearing “Yeezy” undergarments for the length of the show, and many sat down as the heat became unbearable. Some models were given water as the show progressed while others stood still the entire time. A few of the models walking the runway rather than standing in the center experienced wardrobe malfunctions as heels broke. One model exited the runway after falling and another took her shoes off and walked the rest of the show barefoot. While such malfunctions are usually taken care of before the actual show, audience members have said that the models handled the situation well.

NYFW 2016
Yeezy Season 4. (Photo courtesy of harpersbazaar.au)

Kylie Jenner took to Twitter to defend the model that left the runway, tweeting “Her heel broke. It’s not her fault.”
Celebrities that attended West’s show include Anna Wintour, Kim Kardashian-West, Kendall Jenner, Kylie Jenner, Tyga, Pharell Williams, 2 Chainz and other various hip hop artists, and family friends.
Tom Ford also had a show on Wednesday, September 7th, held inside at the Four Seasons restaurant. With an extensive guest list of celebrities including Julianne Moore, Tom Hanks, Uma Thurman, Neil Patrick Harris, Naomi Campbell, Rita Ora, Zayn Malik, Alicia Keys and Karlie Kloss, the show gained a lot of media attention. After appetizers and entrees were served, the fashion show began.
A notable portion of Ford’s show is that, unlike most NYFW shows, his included both male and female models. Generally, NYFW has a female population priority with a male population priority following later in the year. While the first half of the show consisted of neutral colors and simple cuts, the second half contained bold colors and designs, as well as a lot of sequins.
Once the show was finished, Ford introduced the entertainment for the remainder of the night, Leon Bridges, and allowed models to socialize with guests.
Other notable shows that took place on Wednesday as part of NYFW include Mulhier’s near monochrome show, God Save Queens’ lingerie line, Sachin and Babi’s ballet style presentation, and R13’s grunge.
As the week progressed, many other shows began to make headlines. Fashion Week Online, which has a calendar of all the shows on their website, made daily suggestions about which shows should be a priority. On Thursday, September 8th, one suggested show was Noon by Noor. The show’s color scheme made a subtle progression from one color to another, going from white to tan to rose to black. Another notable show from Thursday is Creatures of the Wind. Unlike most NYFW shows, the runway styles were conservative and subtle with simple colors and styles.
One of the most difficult parts of NYFW is deciding which shows to attend because many shows fall around the same time. For example, on Thursday, 11 shows were scheduled for 6:00 p.m., forcing attendees to make a decision about which of the 11 to go to.
The most notable show from Friday, September 9th, is the Tommy Hilfiger show. With the reveal of TommyXGigi, the new line designed by Gigi Hadid, many celebrity figures were present, including two of Hadid’s best friends, Taylor Swift and Martha Hunt. After walking the runway with some of Hilfiger’s newest designs as well as her own, Hadid closed out the show with Hilfiger himself.
NYFW 2016
Christian Siriano. (Photo by Slaven Vlasic / Getty)

One of the most notable shows from Saturday, September 10th, is the Christian Siriano show because, as society is slowly changing its views on the figure of models, Siriano’s show featured women with natural curves. On top of that, Siriano hired “real” women, women who had never modeled before.
“We chose a different approach with the models for this show. They are friends of the brand, members of our team and all people we admire. They range in age from 13 to 70, with style from classic to eclectic.” said Jenna Lyons, creative director and president of J.Crew.
Also on Saturday was Alexander Wang’s show. With a fame filled front row which included Madonna, Kylie Jenner, Tyga, and Zoe Kravitz, and esteemed models like Kendall Jenner and Katie Moor, the show had already been highly anticipated. The show had a variety of styles, beginning with shorts, containing casual and formal wear and ending with a line of Adidas clothing.
Sunday’s show was important to Victoria Beckham because she was debuting her new clothing line. As it occurred on 9/11, she paused in the show to pay a tribute to those who had been killed in the attack on the twin towers 11 years ago. Tracy Reese also held a notable show as it took place in the Marble Cemetery.
NYFW 2016
DKNY. (Photo by Luca Tombolini / Indigital.tv)

Monday was a huge day for many designers including Oscar de la Renta, Zac Posen, and Serena Williams. DKNY’s line was inspired by boxing, so many of their looks were very sporty. Jeremy Scott’s line was very colorful with asymmetrical designs, including purses that were geometric shapes.
Tuesday, September 13th, held shows from iconic, well known designers such as Tory Burch, Vera Wang, and Coach.
Wednesday, September 14th, contained shows from Michael Kors, Elizabeth Kennedy, Ralph Lauren, and Mister Triple X Featuring L.A.M.B. by Gwen Stefani.
The final day of NYFW, Thursday, September 15th, will have shows from Calvin Klein and Marc Jacobs. The last show of the week will be Benito Santos at 9:30 p.m.