Styles to impress this V-Day

Valentine’s Day is centered around love and happiness. Commercials for jewelry and chocolate run rampant, and television portrays the oppression men face as they try to fi nd the perfect gift. Yet one noble act goes unnoticed year after year. It’s the behind-the-scenes look of how the woman prepares for the big day. Sure, her gift doesn’t necessarily have to be anything fancy, but the day is practically centered around her. She stresses over how she’ll look when the fl owers arrive, or what to wear to the evening meal. I’m here to address and soothe those worries. I won’t give you the secret to that perfect outfi t, but I will give you the tools to fi nd it and so much more.
The fi rst step is to fi gure out what to wear. Many opt for red on the special day, but to stand out for your beau, you need to wear something fl attering. Find a color that compliments your skin tone or brings out your eyes. This will give you a glow they can’t resist. Pinks, blues and corals are colors that offer a look of sophistication while still maintaining their sex appeal. Sophisticated has become the new sexy in the past year with the pencil skirt and high-waisted pant. Pencil skirts and bodycon dresses fl atter most body types, creating a smaller waist and accentuating your bust and bum. They’re ideal because they’re easy to throw on and take little effort to accessorize. However, if you’re not sure about a style it’s always best to try it on in the store. Bend over, twirl, jump, check out your panty linewhatever worries you have should be handled in the dressing room before making a purchase. The last thing you need on your big day is a fashion faux pas.
Once you have your outfi t picked, the next issue is always the shoes. If your style is one that calls more attention to your wardrobe than to your footwear, neutral colors will be the shoe tones for you. Nudes, blacks and whites go well with every color. If you rather your shoe game have a little pop, match your footwear with the outfi t or with a color/pattern that will complement the style. Just remember that comfort should always be your priority. If you’ll be on your feet most of the night, you may want to skip the pumps. Instead try a pair of wedges – which offer comfort without forfeiting style. Another option are fl ats. With a variety of colors and styles, they offer a cute and comfy option for your night of pampering. Finally, you need to decide on a hairstyle. Long, straight hair tends to make the face look longer and the body slimmer, so changing it up a bit will only make them fall even more. Loose, fl owing hair is great for mid-length to short skirts and dresses. Curls and waves will allow for an elegant look that will frame your face. These can be achieved with rollers, curling irons and even fl at irons. If you’re dress is long however, a pinned up hairstyle would look best. Putting hair up in a bun or braid will get the hair out of your face, allowing your eyes to glance freely into theirs. Having your hair half up will also help if wearing a longer item. If you have short to medium length hair and want to switch it up, adding curls or waves could add some fl are to your do. This style will also keep the hair out of your face and look great in pictures.
No matter how you choose to fl utter the heart of your signifi cant other, make sure you’re comfortable and confi dent. Remember, if they didn’t fi nd you attractive they wouldn’t be with you. If something makes you uncomfortable, don’t wear it. You’ll just be distracted during your day. And, most importantly, give yourself enough time to get ready.
Hannah Gaylord is a sophomore majoring in journalism with a passion for lookin’ good and helping others to do the same.