Board of Trustees Moves to Restart Presidential Search Process

Jessica Piland

Board of Trustees Chair Blake Gable and Trustee Michael Martin sit in on the meeting. Gable voted to delay the process a second time after two candidates dropped out of the search.

Tori Foltz, Editor-in-Chief

The Board of Trustees moved to reopen the presidential search for FGCU’s next president on Thursday. Two weeks prior, a vote was supposed to take place to choose the next president. Since then, finalists Dr. Susana Rivera-Mills and Dr. Tod A. Laursen have withdrawn from consideration.

President Micheal Martin will continue to stay on as FGCU continues through this process. 

“The problem did not occur at some point in the weeks leading up to the moment we got to the Board of Trustees, the problem occurred when we all decided it would be okay that we didn’t vote that day,” Student Body President Grace Brannigan said. “We found three good candidates. Anyone one of those could have even FGCU’s next president, and then whatever shady powers that be that I am not aware of decided that wasn’t acceptable.”

The next Board of Trustees meeting will take place on Dec. 8 at 8:30 a.m where Trustees are to discuss a search timeline.