Outside the Nest

A weekly recap of local, state and national news (Week of 7/31)

Local: 

Two Bodies Found in Cape Coral Pool

Cape Coral Police have confirmed a double drowning that happened Saturday. A woman cleaning a Cape Coral home went into the back yard and reportedly called the police after finding two bodies in the pool belonging to a man and a toddler. According to NBC2, the police report does not mention if the two were related, but neighbors say the man was the child’s grandfather. Justice Against Children Drowning President, Paul DeMello, used this incident as a warning to never swim alone. 

Two LCSO Deputies Arrested for DUIs Less Than a Week Apart

Early Wednesday morning, off-duty LCSO Deputy Keith Likus was stopped by Cape Coral police officers for a traffic violation which ultimately ended in an arrest for driving under the influence. On July 25, LCSO Deputy Roberto Fabela Morales was arrested after crashing into a ditch and driving under the influence. According to Wink News, both deputies were immediately placed on administrative leave without pay while the investigations are pending. Once completed, internal investigations will begin. 

Drunk Driver Leaves Three Injured After Crash on I-75

Fort Myers man Dwayne Medina was arrested for DUI after causing a crash that seriously injured three people around 1 a.m. today. Medina was driving in the center lane heading north on I-75 when he collided with the rear of another vehicle near Corkscrew. The SUV he hit flipped multiple times and ran off the road. According to NBC2, Medina’s car can also be seen in a nearby ditch. Both vehicles show significant damage. 

“Rick on the Roof” Still Protesting FEMA Regulations

After FEMA’s new regulations were announced, Fort Myers Beach resident Rick Loughery was told he would have to tear down his garage, but was not given a significant reason. In protest, he has decided to sit on his garage roof, not allowing anyone to tear it down, until he can reach a compromise with FEMA. According to Wink News, Loughery and FEMA came to a brief understanding yesterday, allowing him to come down but he is now on his roof once again in a stand-still with FEMA. Concerns are beginning to rise as it gets hotter on the beach, but Loughery says he will not budge on the subject. 

State: 

Parkland School Massacre will be Reenacted Today with Gunfire

As part of the lawsuit against Florida Sheriff’s Deputy Scot Peterson, ballistics experts will fire up to 139 shots at the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School today. This will be part of a reenactment of the 2018 massacre organized to show how one sheriff’s deputy failed his duty to protect the victims, according to AP News. Peterson said he didn’t hear all the gunshots and was unsure where the gunman was while standing outside the school for 40 minutes during the attack. Families of the victims pushed for real bullets to be fired instead of blanks in order to show the full effect of what Peterson might have witnessed that day.

The College Board “Effectively Bans” AP Psychology in Florida

Under an expanded Florida rule, any instruction on sexual orientation or gender identity has been restricted through 12th grade in the state. After the Florida Department of Education asked The College Board and other providers of advanced courses to review their offerings to the state for violations of the rule, The College Board said they would not modify any of its content. According to the New York Times, the Florida Department of Education has not banned the course, but The College Board will not accept the credits if the course was taken in Florida. 

Florida Man Charged with Killing his Wife and Leaving her Remains in Suitcases

Florida man William Lowe was arrested Wednesday after being accused of killing and dismembering his 80-year-old wife, Aydil Barbosa Fontes. Lowe has been charged with first-degree murder. According to CNN, “Investigators allege Lowe, 78, fatally shot Fontes in the head, dismembered her body at their apartment in Delray Beach and placed the remains in suitcases and a tote-like bag before discarding at their local beach.” Lowe pleaded not guilty in his first court appearances on Thursday, but his attorney said they both look forward to the truth coming out. 

Florida State Will Consider Leaving ACC

During a meeting on Wednesday, Florida State President Richard McCullough said that the university would have to consider leaving the ACC. McCullough mentioned that unless there is a serious change to the conference’s revenue distribution model, it is no longer financially responsible for FSU to stay after the ACC changed their model to reward success on the basketball court and football field. Instead, FSU has pushed for them to reward teams who generate higher television revenue marketability, an area where FSU believes it has the upper hand, according to ESPN

Gabriella Lopez

National: 

Pittsburgh Synagogue Shooter Sentenced to Death

A federal court session was held Thursday for the hearing of gunman Robert Bowers, 50, the man who killed 11 people in the Tree of Life synagogue in 2018. After nearly two dozen people spoke on the impact of the mass shooting, Judge Robert Colville formally sentenced Bowers to death on 22 capital counts, 37 life sentences and 20 years each on four additional counts, according to data from CNN. This hearing was held the day after a federal jury voted unanimously to sentence Bowers to death. 

Appeals Court Allows Asylum Restrictions to Temporarily Stay in Place.

A decision made Thursday by the U.S. 9th Circuit Court of Appeals allows a rule restricting asylum at the southern border to temporarily stay in place. This decision comes as a reprieve after a lower court found this policy illegal and ordered the government to end its use by this coming Monday, according to AP News. The government then went to an appeals court asking for the rule to stay in place until the larger court battles surrounding its legality are finished. This rule makes it extremely difficult to be granted asylum in the U.S. unless the traveler first seeks protection in every country they go through to reach the U.S. 

Phoenix’s Month of Record Temperatures Finally Ends

For the first time since the early days of COVID-19, the Phoenix medical examiner’s office had to deploy trailer-sized coolers to store bodies. For 31 straight days, Phoenix hit at least 110 degrees Fahrenheit, setting a significant new record against the previous 18-day record set in 1974. On Monday the heat spell broke by a few degrees dropping to 108 due to some much-needed rain storms. According to the New York Times, 110-plus degree days will return later in the week. 

US Army Joins Marines in Having no Senate-Confirmed Leader

Today General James McConville, retiring Chief of Staff of the Army, officially relinquished control, making the U.S. Army the second branch of military to no longer have a Senate-Confirmed leader. According to Reuters, Tommy Tuberville continues to block military nominations, creating vacancies such as these when current leaders retire. The Pentagon released a statement saying this is the first time in history where these two branches are without a confirmed leader at the same time.