Eagles Volleyball Takes Sole ASUN Conference Lead in Weekend Doubleheader

Jessica Piland/FGCU Athletics

On Friday, Oct. 13, the Eagles entered a doubleheader weekend with a record of 13-5 and undefeated in ASUN conference play. They come off a weekend sweep against Stetson and Central Arkansas. FGCU entered with the conference lead on the line as they faced the Lipscomb Bisons Saturday night.

FGCU first had to face the Austin Peay Governors as they looked to remain in the top eight for ASUN Conference Tournament contention. However, as the match started, it was not looking good for the Governors.

The Eagles began the first set in dominating fashion, going up 6-0. This included three aces by setter and graduate student Lily Tessier, her 21st service ace of the season.

This dominance continued until the Eagles captured their 19th point before Austin Peay was able to start closing the gap on the Eagles as the lead closed from 19-6 to 20-11.

FGCU persisted and was able to close out the first set with a dominant 25-14 victory, setting the tone for the match.

Going into the second set, the Governors looked to turn around an appalling first set, but the Eagles denied them that opportunity, dominating the set with a 25-9 victory.

Set three started with the Eagles and Governors trading points back and forth, with Austin Peay taking their first lead of the match, 5-4.

FGCU rallied back, winning the following seven sets in tow to a 3-0 sweep.

Heading into the second match of the weekend, FGCU had everything to play for with first place on the line in the ASUN Conference Saturday night. They welcome the 12-5 Lipscomb Bisons who entered with an undefeated ASUN Conference record.

The Eagles carried momentum from sweeping their last three matches, but they went into their biggest test of the season thus far.

FGCU began the first set by claiming the first four points before Lipscomb took control. Lipscomb followed the Eagles’ explosive start, scoring multiple points due to FGCU attack errors, later taking the victory, 25-21, in the first set over the Eagles.

Set two started similarly to the first, with the Eagles taking the first point of the match. Lipscomb followed that by taking control once again, leading to a 14-9 lead.

Momentum shifted in the Eagles’ favor as they scored four points in a row, leading to a score of 14-14. This back-and-forth battle continued until FGCU pulled away, scoring the final three points through a scoring error, a kill by junior outside hitter Skylar English and an attack error.

The Eagles wrapped up the set, winning 25-23. The teams were tied at one set apiece going into the third set.

Set three was a turnaround for the Eagles as they started strong and kept pressure on the Bisons, leaving Lipscomb on the backfoot. FGCU claimed the set win, 25-20, looking to close out the match in set four.

The back-and-forth battle continued into the start of set four, with neither team being able to take control. This dynamic continued beyond 25 points as the Eagles could not find an edge against the Bisons. It left one set to determine the match between the ASUN’s undefeated teams.

The fifth set changed the dynamics of the match and the tide changed as the Eagles were on full attack. FGCU started the set at 3-3 before going on a run seven points in a row.

The crowd was electric with everyone in the building on their feet throughout the last set. FGCU brought home the victory, 15-5, to win the match, ending with a 3-2 set lead. Now, the Eagles are the lone undefeated team in the ASUN Conference matches.

Weekly ASUN Conference awards were announced, two of which went to the Eagles. Freshman libero/defensive specialist Reese Burry was named ASUN Volleyball Defensive Player of the Week and freshman middle blocker Ella Chapman picked up her second ASUN Volleyball Freshman of the Week award.

With a 15-5 overall record and a 8-0 record in conference play, FGCU volleyball returns to action tonight to host in-state rival and 9-12 Florida International University.