FGCU Division II Club Hockey Sweeps the University of Maine to Improve to 6-1

Blake Stafford @bstaff7

FGCU returned to Hertz Arena and welcomed the 1-5 University of Maine Black Bears on Oct. 20 and 21 after playing three games on the road in the Liberty University Showcase.

The Eagles swept their first two games of the showcase, winning 7-0 against Davenport University and 6-5 against rival Liberty University. They lost their final game of the showcase against Lindenwood University, with a final score of 7-1.

Starting the first game last Friday, the Eagles took control early. Claiming the first goal in the first few minutes was senior Dawson Zahorian for his fifth goal of the season. He was assisted by junior Carson Engelmann, allowing FGCU to set the tone early in the first period.

In the 11th minute, junior Dylan Castello scored the Eagles second goal off of a power play after the Black Bears were penalized for roughing. FGCU ended the first period with a 2-0 lead.

Heading into the second period, the Eagles looked to turn up the aggression. Once they did, FGCU scored five goals yet acquired their first three penalties of the period.

The first two goals came in the first five minutes by freshman Aiden McCarthy and sophomore Jake Court. Both were able to obtain their fourth goals of the season.

The onslaught of goals continued as Spence Van Tiem, Dylan Castello and Shayne Tomlinson punched a goal, putting the Eagles up 7-0 to end the period.

Once the third period was underway, both teams knew the game was over. This could be seen through the pace change from the Eagles as well as the frustration coming from the Black Bears’ bench.

The University of Maine was penalized five times, including an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty for player-to-player contact.

The Eagles’ last two goals were scored early in the third period. Shayne Murphy scored his sixth goal of the season in the first minute, while junior Holden Hertog ended the game by scoring his first goal with assists by Murphy and Kyle Lindholm.

FGCU ended game one of the doubleheader weekend, winning 9-0 against the University of Maine, looking to replicate this performance heading into game two.

In the second game against Maine last Saturday, momentum carried over for the Eagles from the first game as they would score right after the opening faceoff. Junior Shayne Romback punched it in with an assist from junior Dylan Castello.

First period play continued with no goals until the final three minutes of the period. These goals were scored by sophomores Adam Beauvais and Andrew Castello.

Heading into the second period, the floodgates opened for the Eagles as they proceeded to score five goals in the second period and six goals in the third. 

Thomas Zebley was the highest scorer over the weekend, scoring three of the next eleven goals. He leads the team in goals scored so far as well. The Eagles crushed the Black Bears 14-1 in the second game.

The University of Maine eventually scored their first goal of the weekend in the third period to avoid being shutout. The Black Bears fell to 1-7 on the season, still looking to gain control of their season as they spiral with the losses adding up.

FGCU swept the weekend games with 9-0 and 14-1 wins over Maine, improving their record to 6-1 on the season in ACHA play. The Eagles stay in Fort Myers this week to host the Bowling Green Falcons on Oct. 27 and 28.