​​TV Show Review: Loki Season 2

Jada Jonassaint

Spoiler Alert 

Loki Season 2 has burst onto the scene, offering viewers a tantalizing taste of what’s to come in a season brimming with mayhem, mysteries, jaw-dropping twists and mind-bending time travel adventures.

Personally, Loki is my favorite character in the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU). He is played by the actor Tom Hiddleston. The growth this character has had over the past decade since his first debut in 2012 is truly amazing. 

He started off as a villain, but slowly his character has been fleshed out to the point that the MCU has essentially turned him into a hero who is learning to be selfless and care for others. To see a character go through that big of an arc over the span of ten years is impressive and exciting. It shows that there’s more story worth telling for the character and the audience is there to watch it.

Honestly, when I heard Loki was given the green light for a second season, I was stumped on how they could top what had already been done in season one with how excellent it was. I also felt that it could potentially flop because a lot of recent MCU shows haven’t been performing as well as expected. Audiences haven’t liked the writing, execution or creative choices that have been taken for past shows and movies of Phase Four. 

However, after season two of Loki dropped, I was shocked. I’m impressed they didn’t mess up the second season. This season hits the ground running and never lets up. This season is also a lot trippier and visually aesthetic than the first. The visuals are amazing, especially when seeing timelines die and becoming, “spaghetti.” You have to watch to understand, it sounds crazy, but the show is crazy and trippy. It’s worth checking out.

Loki season two finds Loki, “time-slipping,” into different time periods throughout history. It brings back iconic characters such as Mobius, Ravonna Renslayer, Hunter-B15, Sylvie, Miss Minutes and new characters like OB, played by Ke Huy Quan. OB is my favorite character in season two right now because Ke Huy Quan is such an impactful actor.

Loki and the TVA set out to find a variant of He Who Remains, called Victor Timely, played by Jonathan Majors. Majors is currently the villain of the next couple of phases in the MCU. Majors is an amazing actor and has been showing a versatile range of acting with his variants of Kang the Conqueror. The TVA faces destruction from the consequences of Loki and Sylvie’s actions from the end of season one so they must set out on how to restore it, including tracking down Victor Timely throughout the timeline for help.

I will say that you are definitely seeing a different side of Victor Timely than you thought you were going to see based on early trailers and clips. That was surprising to me and it actually played out very nicely. It honestly made it better, but at the same time left me more curious about the other variants of Kang and how that will play into the finale.

This season came out guns blazing in the first episode. The dialogue, pacing, and overall threat were at an all-time high and the show was wasting no time. This is exactly what you want in an MCU show. The execution was performed effectively.

Two and three are a little slower, but the consistency remains the same for a Loki show. It feels necessary to the plot and not something that is thrown in for filler or doesn’t make sense.

Episode four ends off on a cliffhanger that left my jaw dropped. The execution was perfect and did exactly what it meant to do; to confuse the audiences as much as possible. The ending of this episode has an equivalent feeling to that of Infinity War, which I think viewers will really enjoy. The stakes are at an all-time high and you will be completely shocked at how it cuts off. 

Five is visually amazing and gives us background info on the lives of the TVA agents and plays into the cliffhanger ending from the previous episode. There’s this amazing visual scene in a music store where time is dying and everything is fading away. The camera is spinning circularly while zooming into a record player spinning as time dissolves in the background. It’s pretty trippy.

The show gives off an HBO-level quality which is amazing in my opinion.

There were also some horror elements thrown in throughout season two, which was impressive to see for a Marvel/Disney show. There was a scene in one of the episodes that pushed it so far that I was genuinely shocked that Disney approved the okay for that to be released on Disney Plus.

I haven’t watched the finale yet, that’s supposed to drop November 9, but with how the second season has played out so far, I have high hopes that it will be pretty good.

If you’re a Marvel fan who has been feeling lackluster about the previous movies they’ve been releasing, I’m here to assure you that Loki is definitely worth your time and is not a miss!