Eagles Hockey begin spring season with a big weekend

The Florida Gulf Coast University DII Hockey team returns from winter break to take on the Illinois State Redbirds at 8:30 p.m. Friday, Jan. 9 at Germain Arena. Game two of the series will be held at 8:30 p.m. Saturday, Jan. 10. Tickets are $5 at the door, but free with your Eagle ID.

The Redbirds lead the Mid-American Division with a 9-3-1 record. Leading goal scorers, Tim Talty and Connor Anderson look to capitalize on the solid FGCU defense. Talty holds on to a +32 rating, having scored 16 goals with 36 assists. Eagles’ goaltending must be on-point in order to thwart the offensive efforts of the Redbirds.

On Dec. 5, the Eagles defeated the University of Central Michigan with scores of 9-0 and 5-4.

The FGCU DIII Eagles look to bounce back from a pair of pre-break losses for a weekend matchup against Palm Beach State College. Palm Beach will host the Eagles in game one of the weekend matchup at 9:30 p.m. Friday, Jan. 9 at the Palm Beach Ice Works, before returning home to conclude the series at 6 p.m. Saturday, Jan. 10 at Germain Arena. Tickets are $5 at the door, but free with your Eagle ID.

In their last meetings, the Eagles destroyed the Palm Beach Panthers with a score of 11-0, forcing the compromised Panthers to forfeit the second game of the series. FGCU will need to watch out for a determined Panthers’ offensive.

Prior to the winter break, the Eagles challenged the University of Central Florida and Grand Valley State University. The weekend of Dec. 5, FGCU defeated the USF Bulls with scores of 10-1 and 7-3. The weekend of Dec. 12 the Eagles were handed two losses from Grand Valley State University by scores of 6-3 and 3-1.