FGCU Women Defeat UNF 74-35

Whitney Knight jumps for the rebound. EN Photo / Kelli Krebs)
Whitney Knight goes to shoot a layup. (EN Photo / Kelli Krebs)

Like most games the Florida Gulf Coast University women’s basketball team has played this year, this one was over quick.
One-seeded FGCU (28-2, 15-0 Atlantic Sun) took care of eight-seeded University of North Florida (11-18, 2-13 A-Sun) 74-35 in front of 1,806 fans at Alico Arena Friday night.
“I thought Whit [Knight] came out aggressive she got hot and gave us a nice lead to start the game,” FGCU head coach Karl Smesko said. “I think in the second half I thought we executed offensively better.”
The win sends FGCU to the A-Sun semifinal against (insert team here) that will be played Wednesday, March 11th at Alico Arena.
FGCU played 14 players in the win with 10 of them scoring.
“It was nice to see the reserves at the end of the game knock down shots,” Smesko said.
The Eagles were lead by five players in double-digit scoring. Junior Kaneisha Atwater and senior Jenna Cobb both finished with 12. Senior Whitney Knight and junior Stephanie Haas both had 11 and senior Anthi Chatzigiakoumi finished with 10.
“I thought Jenna [Cobb] played well,” Smesko said. “She came out aggressive looking for a shot. Knocked down some three’s for us.”
Jenna Cobb drives towards the net. EN Photo / Kelli Krebs)
Jenna Cobb drives towards the net. (EN Photo / Kelli Krebs)

The win also extends FGCU’s winning streak to 23 games, the fourth longest in the country.
The Eagles hit 16 three’s, which ties the season record that they set in a double overtime loss to Ohio State on Nov. 29. They also set an A-Sun championship record with 16 three’s.
FGCU faces off against Jacksonville Wednesday at 7 p.m. for a spot in the A-Sun finals.
“We have a few days to get ready to play Jacksonville,” Smesko said. “Jacksonville is a very aggressive, physical team.”