Champs again! Women’s soccer earns sixth A-Sun title

The FGCU women’s soccer team claimed its sixth consecutive Atlantic Sun regular season title Saturday night, following a 6-1 win over Stetson in DeLand.
FGCU has not lost a regular season conference game since October 2012 and finished the season with a 6-0-1 record, tying 1-1 to Jacksonville  earlier this month.
On Saturday night, the Eagles collected its six additional goals to total 41 for the season, 23 of them against conference foes. FGCU forward Tabby Tindell earned a hat trick – her first of the season and third in her career, to earn her 16th goal this season.
Tindell’s three goals were matched with a goal each from Shea Rhoney, Nikki Hudson and Darien Davis.
After collecting their sixth conference title since 2011, the Eagles will look to earn their fourth post-season title and fourth trip to the NCAA Tournament.
With the title, FGCU will host the 2015 A-Sun Conference Championship Tournament, beginning with the first round on Oct. 31, with the second round and final the following weekend. FGCU will take on the winner of the first round match between No. 4 Kennesaw State and No. 5 Stetson on Nov. 6.
The FGCU men’s soccer team will also be tentatively hosting the semifinals of the tournament on Nov. 7.