The ‘Eagle Shot’ Resurges

AP

FILE – This Wednesday, April 19, 2017 file photo shows the beer cooler behind the counter in a convenience store in Sheridan, Ind. In future sweltering years with a double whammy of heat and drought, losses of barley yield can be as much as 17 percent, computer simulations show. And that means “beer prices would, on average, double,” even adjusting for inflation, said a study published in the journal Nature Plants on Wednesday, Oct. 17, 2018. (AP Photo/Michael Conroy)

Riley Hazel, Assignments and Features Editor

Student Government has revived the Eagle Shot, an initiative designed to offer students added security during their time at participating bars.

The program, which was first launched in 2019, allows for students to discreetly ask for help if they find themselves in an uncomfortable situation.

“We believe that this program has given FGCU’s student body the resources to feel safer and more protected while they are out at our local bars and venues,” Student Body Vice President Gracie Dougherty said. “We want our student body to be safe and feel comfortable even when they are off of our campus, so we hope that this initiative provides a sense of ease for students.”

Chief of Staff Nathan Cambell and Vice President Dougherty were the primary supporters of the initiative, according to documents available on Eagle Link.

“I feel like there was a need for the program,” Junior Matt Boggan, who frequents bars in the area, said. “You hear horror stories with college-aged students around the country. For Student Government to take action to make everyone feel safe was a great idea.”

If a student feels unsafe, they are able to ask for a specific drink at one of the participating locations. The bartender would then take appropriate action.

The initiative is live at the following locations: The Keys Bar & Grille, Nauti Parrot Oasis, Tiki Bar, Tequila Bar (Cantina 109), La Bamba and Rhythm House. No venue that Student Government has discussed the initiative with has turned it down, according to an Instagram post from August.

Planning for the Eagle Shot first began in June 2019 under Student Government’s Director of Community Relations, Jaimes Veneziale. The initiative was inspired by the Angel Shot, a similar program that has been implemented by other universities and venues.

The initiative was not live last year due to venue closures and limited occupancies due to COVID-19, according to Vice President Dougherty.

“We have been happy to hear from several venues that the initiative has been helpful and effective for their attendees and our students,” Vice President Dougherty said.

Flyers are posted in the restrooms of participating locations; however, students fear that the initiative is still not widely known. Junior Haley Marra was not aware of the program.

“I do worry that it’s not known enough, and there’s not enough awareness of the Eagle Shot,” Marra said. “I think this is a great idea, and it can definitely work as long as more students become aware of the drink and the message behind it.”