Kappa Alpha’s Possum’s Pumpkin Patch Gives Back to Veterans

Courtesy+of+Kappa+Alpha++
Courtesy of Kappa Alpha

FGCU’s Kappa Alpha Order held their 10th annual Possum’s Pumpkin Patch last week, benefitting their philanthropy, Operation KARE. 

The fraternity sold hundreds of pumpkins which decorated the library lawn last Wednesday and Thursday, Oct. 11 and 12. The pumpkins used for the event were purchased locally from Country Boy Produce in Fort Myers. 

The pumpkin patch had a photo-op complete with painted pumpkins, hay bales and a vintage orange International Scout truck. All the proceeds from the pumpkin patch were donated to Operation KARE.

Will Wittstruck

Operation KARE is a non-profit organization that challenges Kappa Alpha chapters around the country to raise $20,000 to support wounded veterans. The money is used to purchase unique, hypermobile wheelchairs called Track Chairs.  

“It’s designed to go above and beyond other wheelchairs,” said Josh Mogensen, Philanthropy Chairman of Kappa Alpha Order at FGCU. 

Track Chairs are electric, off-road wheelchairs, that allow the user to travel through terrain that traditional wheelchairs cannot reach. They have large tank-like treads on the bottom, rather than standard wheelchair wheels. This allows the user to be more mobile than in a traditional wheelchair. They can drive through sand, snow, water and even climb stairs. 

“It allows veterans to get back into their everyday lifestyle after the sacrifice they made for our country,” Mogensen said. 

“Without veterans we wouldn’t be able to do what we do today,” said FGCU Kappa Alpha Order President Mason Covelli. “We just want to thank them in every way possible and support them to the fullest.”