Outside the Nest

Week of 12/8
Gabriella Lopez

Local

Special Locals-Only Event Re-Opens Margaritaville

After the devastation of Hurricane Ian, locals can once again enjoy a drink by the water. Margaritaville had a “soft opening” to prepare workers and encourage locals to come and enjoy the business. The re-launch of Margaritaville was in the works several times before they were finally able to open for business. According to the News-Press, “It’s a very exciting day. It’s been a nine-year run for us getting to today,” said Fort Myers Beach developer Tom Torgerson. “(We) are terribly excited for the future, excited for Fort Myers Beach and for Margaritaville.” Monday will be the official opening bringing a surge of excitement back to Southwest Florida.

Case Against Lee County Sheriff’s Office Dismissed for Lack of Evidence

After a Miami woman filed a complaint against a Lee County sheriff back in March, the case was dismissed due to lack of evidence. According to NBC 2, “Stacy Maldonado claims her sister was pepper sprayed, handcuffed, and put in a metal cage in the back of a jail transport truck. This happened as the woman was supposed to be observed at a behavioral health facility.” Maldonado states that the deputy physically and verbally abused her sister, and she has been traumatized since the incident. The attorney representing the sheriff made a statement that the pepper spray was used after the woman physically assaulted the sheriff.

Lee Commissioners Approve Development Plan Amendments Despite Community Dissatisfaction

Wednesday morning, the Lee County Board of Commissioners voted to approve the plan to develop Captiva Island, including changes in Captiva’s building heights. Community groups have not been satisfied with this ruling. Commissioners urged the need for this development to allow property owners to slowly build back after Hurricane Ian. According to the News-Press, “The action that you take today, coupled with the actions taken at previous meetings, would create two very different sets of rules for buildings on Captiva,” said Lisa Riordan of the Captiva Civic Association. “No one sitting here believes they would build a higher and taller hotel with the same number of units as today.” The amendment passed four to one as the commissioners stated it would help with the safety of the rebuilds.

Lee County NAACP Helps Family Take Action Against FMPD

Lee County NAACP helped a family file a civil rights complaint against an officer who shot and killed Christopher Jordan, 57, in his home. According to Wink News, “Police said Jordan approached a window displaying a firearm toward the officers. That’s when an officer shot and killed Jordan.” The Florida Department of Law Enforcement is doing an investigation, but the family of the man wants the NAACP to do their own investigation, too. The family reports that Jordan never had a gun and was killed unjustifiably.

State:  

Florida Population Experiences Major Growth

Florida’s population has been increasing exponentially in the last several years but is predicted to decrease as an older generation of people move to Florida. According to CBS, The Legislature’s Office of Economic and Demographic Research released a report this week that showed that the state’s estimated population in April was 22,634,867, an increase of nearly 359,000 people, or 1.61%, from a year earlier. By 2028 the population is supposed to slowly taper off with the rate of growth expected to slow to 1.51% next year, 1.37% in 2025, 1.3% in 2026, 1.24% in 2027, and 1.18% in 2028. 

Democratic Prosecutor Suspended, Desantis Pushes to Florida High Court

The Florida Supreme Court is unsure about the Democratic prosecutor’s attempts to try and get back her job after Gov. Desantis ousted her. According to Politico, “Worrell, who says her removal was politically motivated to help DeSantis’ bid on the presidential campaign, contends her suspension is invalid and that the governor cannot rely on examples of prosecutorial discretion as proof that she neglected her job or is incompetent.”  Worrell, the woman ousted, attended a hearing with a crowd of supporters and remains hopeful that she may have her job back. “Our votes have been stolen, our justice has been killed and our democracy is being destroyed,” Worrell said.

Florida Bear Steals Reindeer Christmas Decoration from Neighbor’s Lawn

A black bear was caught on surveillance at a Florida home attacking a Christmas reindeer decoration. According to Fox, “EJ Elvin’s home surveillance equipment picked up the humorous exchange at his home in Logwood, Florida in the middle of the night.” Around 3:42 a.m, the bear was spotted approaching the light-up reindeer decoration. The bear then proceeded to swat the reindeer and made quick work of it. The reindeer were slowly destroyed as the bear went from each one. The bear then proceeded to drag the reindeer away from EJ’s house.

Florida Woman Wins $1M off a Scratch-Off After a Trip to Circle K

A quick trip to Circle K resulted in a $1 million prize for Shelby Abbott.  The retailer will receive $2,000 for the sale of the winning ticket. She plans to receive her $640,000 at once. According to News Channel 8,Abbott played the $1,000,000 ‘A Year For Life Spectacular,’ which features two top prizes of $1 million a year for life and 234 prizes of $1 million. The game has over $1.6 billion in cash prizes.” The Florida Lottery resulted in $59.5 billion in prizes, created 1,947 millionaires and generated over $18.39 billion for the Educational Enhancement Trust Fund.

National:  

Biden Makes Ukraine Aid a Priority but Has to Deal with Immigration Predicament

President Biden made funding Ukraine efforts one of his top priorities but now faces challenges with immigration policy. According to NBC, “I am willing to make significant compromises on the border,” Biden said in remarks on Wednesday. “We need to fix our broken border system. It is broken. And thus far, I’ve gotten no response from Republicans.” Immigration advocates are worried that Biden may be swayed to avoid the basic rights of migrants looking to escape bad conditions at home for a better life in the U.S. Biden’s need to help the community of Ukraine has left others supporting immigrants worried as the focus may remain strained. “The president can still turn this around,” said Rep. Henry Cuellar, D-Texas, whose district includes the border.

UNLV Gunman Had a List and 150 Rounds of Ammo Ready

The 67-year-old gunman is now known to have a list of targets and 150 rounds of ammo, said police Thursday. The man, Anthony Polito, killed three faculty members at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas. Polito was a long-time business owner who was killed in a shoot-out with police officers. According to the AP News, “Clark County Sheriff Kevin McMahill said at a news conference that investigators were still looking into a motive but noted that Polito had applied for several jobs at various colleges and universities in Nevada but was denied the job each time.” “None of the individuals on the target list became a victim,” McMahill said, mentioning all the targets have been contacted and are okay.

Helicopter Gone Missing: Contains Five Guyana Military Officials

Wednesday, a military helicopter containing seven people, five of which are Guyana military officials, vanished near Guyana’s border with Venezuela. According to AP News, “Venezuelan troops with heavy equipment and machinery have been amassing on the border in recent weeks, leading to speculation of an imminent invasion.” The Guyana President has made statements saying he is taking all necessary steps to defend the country. “We do not have any information suggesting that there was any flight by Venezuelan aircraft in that area,” said Khan. “Speculation is not what I want to go into. Our priority is to save the lives of our officers and ranks.”

Hunter Biden Facing New Indictment 

President Biden’s son, Hunter Biden, was indicted Thursday on tax charges. According to Fox, “The indictment was Hunter Biden’s failure to pay nearly $200,000 of income tax in the year 2019.” Hunter Biden pleaded not guilty to gun charges in October, as well. Fox News reached out to Hunter’s legal team but they refused to comment. “The Department of Justice got caught in its attempt to give Hunter Biden an unprecedented sweetheart plea deal,” said House Oversight Committee Chairman James Comer. “Every American should applaud these men for their courage to expose the truth.” Comer thanks two whistle-blowers for providing the information for Hunter Biden’s indictment.