UPD Beat: A West Lake Auto Burglary Left One Car With Its Steering Column Ripped Off

Adriana Hall

On Dec. 15, UPD received a complaint from a mother who believed her daughter was missing. The daughter lives in University Village. After looking up her schedule, officers found that she had an exam scheduled in Siedler Hall from 10 a.m. to 12:15 p.m. Officers searched and found the classroom and the professor’s office empty. The mother received a text from the daughter saying she was back at her apartment in University Village. The mom went to the apartment to confirm her daughter was there and contacted UPD saying everything was OK.

Unit 39 found spray paint on the sixth floor of Parking Garage B in South Village on Dec. 20. No cameras were installed in the area so UPD was unable to confirm when the garage was spray painted. An email was sent to work management to have the garage repainted. 

An auto burglary occurred on Dec. 23 between 8 p.m. and 9 p.m. The complaint made a report to UPD about damage to her vehicle. Unit 12 evaluated the scene to find her steering column was ripped apart. West Lake Village video surveillance was reviewed. The vehicle was dusted for fingerprints and the area was canvassed. No other vehicles appeared to be damaged. A statement, prosecution and declaration were obtained. 

On Dec. 24, LCSO called UPD for assistance regarding multiple shots being fired near the Emergent Technologies Innovation (ETI). Unit 12, six deputies and a drone found four individuals shooting on property west of ETI. LCSO contacted the individuals who said they had a cattle lease on the property and were just target practicing. No action was deemed necessary. 

Unit 12 found a stolen vehicle on undeveloped land owned by FGCU on College Club Drive. The vehicle was located on Jan. 1 on a trail behind Burlington Coat Factory while officers were surveilling West Lake Village. The stolen vehicle was confirmed with LCSO and they arrived on scene. An information report was completed.

On Jan. 6, a complaint was filed to UPD about her car being vandalized. The complainant was working in the South Village Recreation & Wellness Center and saw that her car window had been shattered when she left. Another vehicle was found damaged. Officers found the suspect and escorted them to Lee County Jail. 

On Jan. 7, an RA found a female subject sleeping outside. The RA said that the subject was very dazed and confused and brought her inside. The subject had been locked out of the building. The situation was turned over to the administrator on call. 

Lee County Dispatch called to report a subject with suicidal ideations on Jan. 7. An officer spoke with the subject, who was located at North Lake Village, and noted that he was angry but is calm now. The officer evaluated for the Baker Act and the subject did not meet the criteria. Situation was turned over to housing. 

A transfer from LCSO came into UPD about a complainant having a verbal argument with their son on Jan. 8. UPD tracked down the caller’s location in Whitaker Hall through AT&T. There was a language barrier crisis alert and multiple calls coming from the building. Units 13, 39 and 49 were responding to the incident. The subject was in room 112 and they agreed to go to CAPS to speak with a counselor. CAPS contacted UPD saying the subject had become disruptive in the lobby and requested officers. When they arrived, the subject was in a counselor’s office. The counselor stated that he did not meet the Baker Act criteria. The subject left the building and said he was going to call an Uber and go to a hotel for a few days.