Sustainable Modes of Transportation on Campus: Are They Worth It?

Jessica Piland

Over the years, the different popular means of transportation have shifted. Walking is one of the most ancient forms of transportation. Some things never change, but as technology advances there are motorcycles, cars, shuttles and trains. Walking seems to be a thing of the past.

Some students prefer walking over taking the shuttles or driving their car around campus. The physical activity that one achieves by walking to campus is a plus. Other benefits include saving money on gas and avoiding each excruciating shuttle stop.

The campus and the environment show a need for sustainability. Walking makes sense on our eco-friendly campus. There are close alternatives, like the GOAT scooters, but even with those the cost for them racks up fast, and there are not enough convenient parking locations.

Campus tries to provide sustainable ways to move around, but with limited car parking and a rising price for the GOAT scooters, the cost-to-travel ratio is high. Walking means that students need to plan accordingly, but most individuals already have to plan the timing of the shuttle stops or account for parking if they plan on driving. 

Even still, there are a plethora of reasons why many colleges don’t encourage first-year students to bring their cars with them. College campuses are typically designed for pedestrians, not drivers. That is the case for FGCU.

The distance from South Village to main campus is about a 15-minute walk. If you live in Northlake Village, that walk is about 10 minutes depending on what building you live in.

When it comes to the shuttles, the Passio GO! app provides an accurate time of arrival to each location. On average, students will have to wait anywhere between 15-20 minutes to get to their destination. Students living on campus can see a variation between walking or taking the shuttles, but overall, the time is about the same.

To tell the truth, when students walk around campus, they have a better chance of getting to their class or favorite hangout spot faster than trying to rely on motorized transportation. It is nice that the shuttles are around to help enhance the college experience, but why use a shuttle when you are bound to be late?

Even the GOAT scooters are not necessarily guaranteed to get to your destination faster. If you get to one of the loading spots and all of the batteries are dead, you have essentially wasted extra time and in turn, you have to walk anyway. 

FGCU is continuing to provide sustainable ways to move around campus. The university has even started creating extra boardwalks that will allow students to walk from South Village to the main campus without the hassle of running into motorized vehicle traffic.

I, for one, appreciate the multiple ways to get to campus. As a commuter student, I do drive to campus, but I do miss the days when I lived in South Village. Not having to add an extra factor such as parking into my routine helped me avoid stress.

I could wake up 30 minutes before class and as long as I left at a decent time, the 10-minute walk across the bridge from South Village to the library was a breeze. 

If I have a meeting in Northlake, I walk there as it is more convenient than losing my parking spot on main campus and getting to Northlake to then spend 15 minutes looking for a new parking spot. 

FGCU should invest in more sustainable means of transportation, but if those sustainable means of transportation mean that more time is consumed by the students, then I think students will continue to choose walking over any other transportation.