Women’s Tennis Building Momentum Going Into Final Month of Play

Jessica Piland/FGCU Athletics

In March, the FGCU women’s tennis team embarked on a spirited journey by facing eight opponents. The month was filled with ups and downs, but ultimately, the Eagles soared with a commendable 5-3 record.

The month commenced on March 2 with a match against the Miami University RedHawks, where the Eagles fought valiantly but ultimately lost the doubles point. However, they swiftly turned the tide in singles competition, with freshman Paloma Goldsmith securing a victory on court four and senior Fanny Norin dominating on court one. Graduate student Ida Ferding and senior Jordana Ossa rounded out the singles matches with impressive victories, leading the Eagles to a decisive 6-1 win. 

After a weather delay pushed FGCU’s match against the Belmont University Bruins to March 7, this forced the Eagles to play two matches in two days. Belmont started the match strong. However, the Eagles slowly took back control. Junior Isabella Colmenares clinched the match with a three-set rally on court two, prevailing with a 1-6, 6-1 and 6-2 scoreline. This allowed the Eagles to take a dominant 4-1 victory.  

FGCU did not have the same result the following day against the Virginia Commonwealth University Rams. The Eagles went on to be shut out by the Rams 4-0 as they were still recovering from playing the day before. This losing streak continued into ASUN conference play against the Lipscomb University Bisons on March 11, as the Eagles lost the contest 5-2. This put the Eagles’ record at 7-7, with the rest of their schedule being against conference competitors.

The Eagles were able to rebound against the University of North Alabama Lions, triumphing with a 5-2 victory on March 17. Despite losing the doubles point early in the day, the Eagles gathered momentum as the match progressed. FGCU was able to take control of the singles competition, only dropping one point. Norin and Ferding were the largest contributors to this victory, being the only Eagles to win in both doubles and singles.  

After returning from a road loss against the Austin Peay Governors 6-1 on March 24, the Eagles looked to continue their home winning streak at the FGCU Tennis Complex against the University of North Florida Ospreys on March 28. Colmenares and Goldsmith set the tone with a strong showing in doubles, securing the point for the Eagles. The team continued to shine in singles competition, with players like sophomore Amelia Kopel, Ossa and Norin delivering impressive wins. With their collective effort, the Eagles emerged victorious 5-2, pushing their conference record to 4-2. 

FGCU’s final match of the month was against the Kennesaw State University Owls on March 30. Despite a slow start by dropping the doubles point, the team rallied together to secure a 5-2 victory. Led by standout performances from players like Ferding, Norin and Colmenares, the Eagles regained control of the match and ultimately clinched the win. 

Throughout March, the FGCU women’s tennis team established itself as a strong contender in the ASUN Conference with a 5-2 conference record at the end of the month. The Eagles are in the midst of a road trip with matches at Eastern Kentucky and Stetson. FGCU will return to the FGCU Tennis Complex on April 14 against the Central Arkansas Sugar Bears to close out the regular season.