Women’s Tennis Stays Winless After Loss to DePaul

Jessica Piland/FGCU Athletics

On Jan. 12, the FGCU women’s tennis team was slated to take center stage, but a postponement saw their match against the DePaul University Blue Demons take place on Feb 1. The Eagles went on to lose their match 4-2.

En route to attempting to secure the doubles point, senior Fanny Norin and graduate student Ida Ferding tied their opponents 2-2. They went on a late run to win 6-3. Junior Lola Glantz and senior Jordana Ossa saw a similar outcome as they were also tied 2-2. However, they were not able to continue the early momentum, losing their set to DePaul 6-2. 

In the third doubles match, juniors Gabriela Macias and Isabella Colmenares lost 6-1 after starting out down 4-0, giving the Blue Demons the doubles point to go up 1-0.

To begin singles play, Norin continued her dominance, winning 6-1 in both sets, going on a 5-0 run at one point. She gave the Eagles one of their two points of the day. She was the only player to win both a doubles and singles set.

Colmenares, after losing her first set 6-4 in her singles matchup, was able to bounce back to win 6-2 and 6-3 in her following two sets. All of her singles sets started with a 2-2 tie in which she was able to rally and win her last two sets to earn another point for the Eagles.

Sophomore Amelia Kopel only played in the singles round. Both of her sets started off tightly contested with a 3-3 tie.  She was never able to keep the momentum up though as she ended up losing both of them 6-3.

Ferding won her first set with her DePaul opponent winning the second. Those two sets needed to go to seven points to secure the victory. However, Ferding was not able to keep up in the third set as she played from behind and lost 6-3. This secured the final match point DePaul needed for the victory.

After the Blue Demons obtained the winning point of the match, the ongoing set with Ossa was called off. Similar to Ferding’s sets, Ossa and her opponent were in their third set after splitting the first two with a seventh point needed in each. The unfinished match resulted in DePaul winning 4-2.

With the loss, the Eagles drop to 0-4 on the season. Despite the loss in the doubles point, FGCU was able to stay competitive throughout singles play. While there was a window of opportunity to close the gap on the Blue Demons, the Eagles continuously played from behind.

FGCU women’s tennis had a match against Georgia State scheduled for Feb. 4 that was canceled due to weather conditions. Next up on the schedule for the Eagles are the Barry University Buccaneers on Feb. 6.